Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Nicole

            I really wanted to get ahold of those pictures….but I held it off so Chase and I could talk and go to dinner. We didn’t really talk about much. It was mainly small talk. Dinner was amazing! It was chicken parmesan. Hannah and Chase were fabulous cooks. It was probably the best meal I’d ever had.

            “So I heard mom almost dove into Chase’s old kid pictures,” Hannah commented halfway through the meal.           

            Magnus almost choked on his food from the laughter that sputtered out.

            “Yes, he was a funny boy, our son,” Liza smiled patting Chase’s back.

            I was sitting between Chase and Hannah. Magnus was at the head of the table with his mate on his left, then Chase, then me, then Hannah, then Derek, then Jonathan, then Gabe, Mack, Maeve, Conner, Calla, and then there were others I’d just met and finally back around. 

            I looked over at Chase and caught his blush; that made me grin. “I’ve been eagerly waiting to see those pictures.”

            “Gabe could you grab the photo albums from the book case for me?” Liza asked.

            “Of course, Aunt Liza,” Gabe nodded standing and leaving the room.

            Chase hung his head and pressed his hands against it in embarrassment. I rubbed his back. “Don’t worry, Chase, I promise not to laugh.”

            “If she can help it,” Hannah said cracking up.

            Derek and Jonathan were the only ones remaining quiet the entire time. Not a word came from either of them as everyone else laughed their heads off. I had a bad feeling every time I looked at either of them.

            “Here you go, Aunt Liza,” Gabe said handing the photo albums to Liza and returning to his seat.

            Liza opened the first on and smiled over at me. “This is the one.” She handed it to me. “All of these pictures are of my lovely son.”

            I looked at the first four and laughed loudly. “There it is.” I pointed to the one of him running in the house. He had a bright red cape flowing behind him and a pair of Superman underpants on. His mouth was wide open and smiling. He looked about six.

            “No! Please! Not those!” Chase pleaded, reaching his arms out to me, which only made me laugh harder. I could feel my face turning an ugly shade of red from all the laughter.

            I looked back down at the others. One was of him in a chair with spaghetti sauce covering his mouth. He was again half naked. “Looks like your eating skills have gotten better,” I commented with a grin. Chase didn’t answer; however, he did slam his head into the table.

            “Make it stop,” he moaned.

            I rubbed his back soothingly, not that it helped. He just kept hitting his head. I caught his hair in my hands and pulled his head up. “Don’t bruise your face. I love that face,” I said patting his cheek. He glowered at me before returning his head to the table.

            “The poor boy is going to die from embarrassment,” Conner commented with a laugh.

            “Chase, come with me son. I’d like to have a chat,” Magnus said. “You’re welcome to come, Conner.”

            Conner stood up as Magnus waited at the door for both him and Chase. I grabbed Chase’s large bicep and hauled him to his feet. “Go.”

            Chase nodded, kissed my cheek, and walked off with Conner and his father. After he disappeared from my line of sight I took his seat beside Liza to continue with the album.

            The next one I looked at was of him with his parents. He was actually wearing clothes. He had is hair combed and they were all smiling at the camera. It was so sweet, and it made me smile instead of laugh.

            “Here,” his mother said reaching under the plastic and pulling out a picture. It was a school picture of Chase when he was maybe seven. He was wearing a suit and his hair was combed nicely. He looked so sweet. “Keep this one.”