Chapter 18

Chapter 18    

Chase

            As they departed I wanted to run after them and take their heads off but my father had other plans. He had to practically drag me by my hair back to the house. If that bastard touched her, I would kill him. And right after that I’d kill myself.

            “Son, we couldn’t just start a fight. If we had done that there is a large chance Nicole would’ve been killed,” he said when we got back to the house. “We need a better approach…a deal.”

            “What if he doesn’t agree?” I asked angrily.

            “He will,” my father nodded.

            “How do you know?”

            “Because I’m here,” a woman’s voice said as she stepped in from the other room. “I’m Axle’s true mate.” She said meeting my eyes with an intent gaze. “Magnus, the ladies are awake.” She added looking at my father.

            He and I rushed into the other room where Hannah and my mother were sitting up and rubbing their heads from the rushing of pain.

            “What happened?” Hannah asked. Then realization showed in her eyes, and my mother’s. “Where’s Nicole?”

            My hands balled up in fists. “She made me choose you two over her, she allowed Axle to take her.”

            “Oh, honey, I’m so sorry,” my mother cried rushing to me and wrapping her arms around my neck. “Why did you choose us? She’s your mate!”

            “You are my mother, and my sister. I had to choose you two,” I said hugging my mother back tightly.

            “You have a responsibility to your mate,” Hannah said looking me in the eye.

            “I know,” I pulled away from my mother and sat down, putting my head in my hands. “I didn’t have a choice though. He would’ve killed you two. He’s not going to kill Nicole…”

            “What if she angers him?” Hannah asked. “Axle is not good with his temper…and lately neither is Nicole. If he gets to mad then he might—“

            “Hannah,” my father snapped loudly. “Enough.”

            “Sorry, so anyway, who’s the woman that was in here?”

            “Her name is Margret, she is Axle’s mate. I am hoping we can trade her for Nicole,” our father explained.

            “What if it doesn’t work?” Hannah asked.

            “Then I’ll kill that sorry son of a—“

            “Chase!” my mother scolded before I could get the word out.

            “Sorry! He stole my mate he deserves to die,” I said.

            Suddenly Margret was in my face growling. “That is my mate you’re talking about.”

            “Maybe it is, but he took Nicole and is planning to mate with her and I’m not taking that chance. If that happens I will never forgive myself and she won’t either,” I snapped pushing Margret back in to the wall with my hand around her neck. I wasn’t choking her fully…yet.

            “Chase, if she doesn’t help us we won’t get Nicole back, is that what you want?” my mother asked rubbing my shoulder. “Let the girl go and we’ll get ahold of Axle and let him know that we have Margret, okay?”

            I released her and walked with my parents and sister to my father’s office. I could feel Margret’s tension as she followed slowly behind.

            “Who is this? What do you want?” Axle’s voice asked over the phone once he answered.

            “It is Magnus,” my father said. “I am here with my wife, daughter, son and one other.”

            “What do you want?” he asked, I could hear the smirk that coated his lips.

            “I want to make you a deal. The other woman here is Margret. Axle she has your wolf markings and I believe she is your mate,” father replied.

            “Ah, you want to trade her for Chase’s Nicole?” he asked.

            “Yes,” my father nodded.

            “But Nicole is so beautiful, and so very feisty…hold on a moment,” he replied. I heard the phone move a bit.

            “No, no, Axle, please!” I heard Nicole cry.

            “Mm,” Axle hummed. “Her lips taste a bit like red wine, delicious.”

            My hands clenched and I felt my canines lengthen.

            “But I like your deal, how about we meet tomorrow night around six and chat. You bring Chase and Margret. I’ll bring Conner and Nicole,” Axle said. “Understood?”

            “Yes,” my father nodded. “Where would you like to meet?”

            “The Walsh Waterfall,” Axle said after a thoughtful moment. “You might want to get there early…if you keep me waiting there’s no telling what I might do with the beautiful Nicole that I have here, would you like to say hello to her? Here she is.”

            “Chase? Chase, are you there?” she asked.

            “Yes,” I croaked; my voice hoarse.

            “I love you,” she whispered. “I’ll be okay and I’ll see you soon.”

            That’s when the tears came. I felt them rolling down my cheeks as I tried to stop them.

            “Say something,” she said. “I need to hear your voice, Chase.”

            “I love you, too, Nicole, so much. I love you so much it hurts,” I replied collapsing in one of the leather chairs that sat in my father’s office. I put my face in my hands and let it out. I felt my mother’s hand rubbing my back soothingly.

            “Please, don’t cry,” she said, I knew she was about to from the shaking of her voice when she spoke.

            “So sweet,” Axle’s voice said into the phone. “See you soon…hopefully your Nicole will still be unmated and pure when you see her again.” The phone was moved. “Come here beautiful.”

            “No! Axle no! Please don’t!” Nicole’s cries were cut off when whoever had the phone hung up.

            “Chase, she’ll be okay. We’ll bring her home,” Hannah said from somewhere across the room.

            “I’m so sorry, honey,” my mother’s voice said soothingly. “We’ll fix this, I promise.”

            I stood up and walked to the door. “Get ready, we’re going to get my mate back,” I snapped before walking out and up to my room.