Chapter 4

So I messed up and had to reload all of these chapters, no worries, I fixed it. I was off on the numbering which also set the story off. Anyway here ya go...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4

Chase

            “Chase get out here!” Hannah yelled in my head.

            I took off because of the urgency in her voice. I ran outside to where she stood with Derek, Cain, Lisa, and Natalie in front of Nicole. I stopped when I reached them. Her eyes; they were no longer a Mediterranean blue, but a bright gold—the color of our pack’s eyes when either we’re angry, passionate, or in wolf form. I figured from her human expression it wasn’t passionate or wolf form. She was angry.

            “What happened?” I asked glaring at Derek.

            “Derek was…being Derek,” Hannah said.

            “What did you say Derek?” I asked.

            “Was he telling the truth?” Nicole asked.

            “What did he say?” I asked.

            “That you were just playing with me,” she said meeting my eyes.

            “No,” I scoffed. “I wasn’t—I’m not. I really like you Nicole. I’m not trying to hurt you.”

            “Well you’re doing a great damn job,” she snapped.

            “Please be patient with me I—“        

            “He’s never dated anyone,” Hannah said quietly. “Most werewolves don’t until they find or choose their mate”

            “His father is very strict about that. Since he’s next in line to become alpha he’d prefer if his son was loyal to his mate,” Cain said.

            “Then why did he ask me out?” Nicole asked.

            “You, my dear, are his mate,” Cain said. “Or at least I’m willing to bet you are.”

            “He doesn’t bet unless he believes that it’s extremely possible,” I said to Nicole.

            “I’m not a werewolf,” she said. “I’m not.”

            “Some werewolves start shifting later than others. It just depends on how close to their current generation the blood is,” Cain said.

            “As far as I know my parents aren’t werewolves—“

            “That’s correct. It’s your great-grandparents,” Kelly—Hannah’s best friend within the pack—said walking up with a folder filled with paper.

            “What?” Nicole and I asked in unison.

            “You heard me. Hannah asked me to do some research and it turns out her great-grandparents were once alphas of the pack. But for some reason their children and their children’s children didn’t shift. It skipped two generations,” she said. “No one knows why.”

            “I thought if—“

            “Like I said, Cain, no one knows why,” Kelly said cutting off her mate.

            I looked at Nicole and she was silent…frozen.

            “Nicole?” I asked.

            “Nikki, are you okay?” Lisa asked touching her friend’s shoulder.

            She remained silent staring at me, shocked.

            I walked over to her and took her hand. She finally snapped out of it and met my eyes with a glare tugging her hand free.

            “What the hell does this mean?” she asked crossing her arms.

            “That you are a werewolf, and Chase is your mate,” Hannah said.

            She locked her jaw. “Get this through your thick werewolf skulls: I am not a werewolf. I don’t care what the hell you say, I’m not.”

            Derek took a step towards her. “Bitch, I am not afraid to kick your ass.”

            “Derek,” I snapped spinning towards him. “Leave her alone.”

            “Why should I? Because she’s your damned mate?” he asked.

            I nodded.

            “What the hell are we talking about? She isn’t your mate. She can’t be. She doesn’t have it in her to be an alpha female. Maybe you should turn Missy into one of us. I’m sure she’d love to be your mate…and make a good alpha,” Derek suggested.

            I almost puked at the thought of Missy becoming my mate. But I was too distracted with the fuming Nicole behind me. Her eyes were a fiery gold, her hands were clenched so tight it looked like her knuckles would pop through her skin, her jaw was locked, teeth bared, and she was quietly growling.

            Derek smirked and crossed his arms. “Cute.”

            Just as Nicole launched for Derek I reached out and grabbed her pulling her to me. Hannah, who had more control than anyone, crossed her arms at her shocked mate.

            “You are such an idiot, Derek. How the hell are we mates?” she said looking up at the sky.

            Derek growled and went to walk forward but was blocked by Hannah. “Don’t do it.”

            “She was gonna—“

            “You were testing her. It was your fault,” she replied.

            “Hannah—“

            “Stop, turn around, walk away,” she said holding up a hand.

            He glared once at me then at Nicole before walking away.

            “Nicole you need to calm down,” I said into her ear as she tried to push me off.

            Some people were watching with shocked faces around her.

            I spun her around to face me. “Breath, Nicole.”

            “You stupid bastard! Let me go!” she yelled slapping me, yet again.

            I grabbed her free hand and met her eyes. “Stop.”

            “Let me go,” she said in a creepy calm voice.

            “Only if you promise to behave,” I said.

            “Fine,” she agreed.

            I released her.