Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Nicole

            After Chase released me I ran. I ran to the parking lot and into my car. When I got inside my car I took a deep breath as I cranked up the car, and that’s when the tears came. I didn’t exactly know why I was crying. I just knew that I felt horrible. Like someone had stabbed my heart a million times in thirty different places.

            There was a knock at my window that made me look up. It was Chase. I glared and locked my doors. He made a hand signal that meant he wanted me to roll down the window. I shook my head and crossed my arms.

            “I’ll break it,” I heard him say, though it was muffled through the window.

            “Then you’ll be paying for it,” I snapped.

            “Come on, Nicole, open up,” he said.

            “Just leave me alone Chase,” I said.

            “No, let me in,” he shook his head.

            I rolled my eyes and rolled down the window.

            “Close enough,” he sighed. “Look, Nicole, I’m sorry. I don’t know what you want me to do.”

            “I want you to tell me why you said yes to Missy,” I told him.

            He put his hand to his forehead. “Is that why you’re mad?”

            “Duh!”

            “It was to prove a point. I didn’t think you’d slap me,” he said. “I was trying to see if you would get jealous.”

            “Chase, are you stupid?” I asked.

            “What?”

            “Are. You. Stupid?” I asked.

            “No.”

            “Obviously you are. Of course I’d be pissed over that. You’d just asked me out,” I said.

            “I guess it wasn’t the best plan but—“          

            “I have an idea of how we can resolve this,” I said.

            “How?”          

            “Don’t talk to me, ever again. Just go on your stupid date with Missy and leave me out if it all. If going out with you brings all this, I don’t want it,” I suggested.

            “No, Nicole I don’t want to do that.”

            “Goodbye,” I said rolling up the window and pulling away.

            “Nicole!” he called.

            But I was gone. I didn’t stop. I went straight home.

            “What the hell are you doing home?” my father asked, though it sounded more like “Wha the hells ya doin home?”

            “I hate this place!” I yelled rushing up to my room and locking the door behind me.

            “What the hell is up with all the racket?!” My mother screamed from her office door.

            “Ask your daugh—hiccup—ter,” my father slurred.

            She pounded on my door. “Nicole?”

            “Just go away!” I yelled from my bed.

            “What’s wrong?”

            “I hate it here!” I yelled.

            “Let me in,” she said. 

            “No!”

            “Nicole, let me in,” she repeated.

            “No,” I said again.

            I heard her retreating footsteps as she gave up. I lied my head down on my pillow. All the stupid things that could happen in just three hours was ridiculous. There was a sudden tap at my window. I looked over at it. Of course! I got up and went to the window.

            “Go away,” I said through the glass.

            “Come on Nicole I want to talk to you,” Chase said tapping the window again.

            I shook my head and closed my curtains. I was done with him. I’d been hanging out with him for two hours and I was already losing my mind.