Chapter 2

Chase on the side >>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 2

Chase

            “I don’t know,” she said with a small smile.

            I grinned. “So, where are you two headed for study hall?”

            “Court yard,” Nicole’s friend Lisa said looking at me.

            “May I join you?” I asked looking at the blonde walking ahead of me.

            “Sure,” shrugged Lisa—a bouncy red head.

            Suddenly Nicole spun to dace us. “Is Natalie going out there? Or is she still trying to get Jack to ask her out?”

            “She’s hanging with us,” Lisa said looking at her phone.

            “Okay,” Nicole nodded turning back around and continuing to the court yard.

            “What are you up too, Chase?” my sister—Hannah—asked in my head.

            “I…she’s amazing,” I replied.

            “Is she your mate?” Hannah asked.

            “That’s impossible! She’s human. She’s a stupid human. A smart blonde who has a crush on you. She’s nothing,” Derek raged.

            I growled involuntarily making both Lisa and Nicole stop and look at me. “Excuse me,” I said pushing past Nicole to go out of the doors. I didn’t miss the hurt expression on her face.

            “Derek!” I yelled across the court yard.

            He was leaning against a tree, to most he seemed calm but I noticed the anger hiding in his eyes.

            “Don’t you dare call her nothing!” I exploded in front of him.

            I heard different people whispering around us but I kept going.

            “You have no right to say that she is nothing,” I snapped.

            “You have no reason to say otherwise,” Derek said calmly.

            “Derek, you don’t know anything of her heritage,” Hannah said putting a hand against her mate’s chest.

            Derek gripped my sister’s hand. “Neither does he,” he growled.

            “I can find out things. Derek, I don’t know what it is but I can’t stay away from her,” I said glancing at Hannah for a moment.

            “Derek, let him be. If she is not werewolf then his father will order him away. But if she does, however, have even a speck of werewolf blood in her then he will allow it,” Cain said quietly, suddenly beside us.

            “Cain what happens if—“

            “I won’t hurt her,” I said.

            “Chase! Oh Chaaaasssse,” I heard Lisa sing from the doors of the court yard.

            “Shut up, Lisa. He doesn’t want to hang out with us,” Nicole snapped in a low voice.

            I turned around and spotted her and Lisa. She met my eyes for a brief second. I started slowly walking towards the two. She shook her head at me.

            “Its fine,” she breathed. “You don’t have to.”

            I didn’t stop until I reached them. Lisa was turned away still calling for me. I tapped her shoulder making her spin.

            “You called?” I asked.

            “Yeah, you just left. It was rude,” she said.

            “Why in the Frank were you calling for—oh snap!” a spunky brunette named Natalie said running up.

            “Nat I really wish you’d stop saying Frank in place of your cuss words. It’s weird,” Lisa said.

            “I can’t help it. You know I don’t cuss,” she said putting her hands on her hips.

            “Can I talk to you?” Nicole asked me, cutting off whatever Lisa was about to say.

            “Sure,” I nodded. She grabbed my wrist and dragged me away from her friends and back into the building.

            “What the hell is up with you?” she asked when the doors closed.

            “I’m sorry?” I asked, truly confused.

            “You haven’t talked to me all year, and now you decide to talk to me?” she asked crossing her arms.

            “I’m sorry,” I said. “I…can’t really give you an explanation. I wish I hadn’t ignored you.”

            She scoffed; her eyes showed me that she had no idea what to say.

            I smirked. “What else?”

            “I…I don’t even know,” she said putting her forehead in her hand. “I thought…I thought your guys stayed in your little group.”

            “Normally, we do…you, changed things,” I said.