Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Nicole

            “No I am not!” I said for the fifth time. My grandparents had bought into this bullshit. I was not a werewolf. I rolled my eyes as they tried again to explain. I ran up to my room. I couldn’t do this anymore. I grabbed a duffle bag and stuffed some clothes in it, my life’s savings—which was like two hundred dollars—a hairbrush, my toothbrush and paste, and then I was gone. I hung the bag on my shoulder and climbed down from my window. I ran to my car and sped off.

            I ended up in a town that was about two hours away. I pulled up to a small motel and went inside.

            “Can I get the cheapest room you have?” I asked the manager without looking up.

            “Uh, I think its room twelve. Sorry my dad owns this place and he had to step out for a minute so I’m watching after the place. I work at the café up the road,” he said, finally catching my attention. He had blonde floppy hair and soft blue eyes. His face was amazingly cute and he looked fit. I smiled lightly.

            “That’s fine. How much is it?” I asked.

            “It’s thirty for one night,” the guy said.

            I bit my lip. “Okay. Are you sure that’s the cheapest?”

            He nodded with a sorrowed look in his eyes. “Sorry.”

            I handed him the money and he slipped me the key.

            “Do you know where I could get a job?” I asked turning the key around in my hand.

            “The café needs someone,” he said. “We own that too.”

            I smiled. “You’d give me a job?”

            “Yeah. We could use a pretty face like you around there,” he nodded grinning.

            My smile widened and I blushed slightly. “Thank you.”

            “Um, here I can walk you to your room if you like, who knows what idiot is out there walking around aimlessly. We get a lot of drunks around here,” he said walking around the counter to me. “I’m Conner, by the way.”

            “I’m Nicole,” I said shaking his hand.

            He led me outside towards the rooms. He led me straight to room twelve. “Oh look it’s my room. No drunks in sight.”

            “Hey you never know. I heard from my dad that they like to sneak into rooms here,” he joked.

            I rolled my eyes. “I think I’ll take my chances,” I said unlocking my door.

            “I could come in and check if you’d like,” he offered.

            I held out my hand. “I think I’ll be just fine,” I said stepping back into the room.

            “Are you sure? I mean if someone does happen—“

            “I’m really fine,” I repeated.

            “Let me just make sure. My dad will kill me if someone gets hurt,” his joking was gone as he said this.

            “I said I’m fine,” I snapped.

            “Nicole, I would really like to respect your space but the drunken idiots in this town aren’t going to just leave, they might do something bad,” Conner said leaning into the room.

            “Conner I’m fine, go,” I pushed on his chest but he glared and grabbed my wrist pushing me in the room.

            “I’m just trying to help,” he said stepping inside. “Look, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be so forceful, it’s rude. I’ll go. Call if you need anything,” he said waving and walking out shutting the door behind him.

            There was a loud bang and someone shouted. I ran to the door and swung it open. “Chase?!” I screamed pushing him off of Conner, who was lying on the cemented sidewalk with a bloody nose. “What the hell are you doing?”

            “He came out of your room,” Chase snapped. “You’re my mate. Not his. What did you two do?”

            “Nothing, he walked me to my room,” I said pushing Chase’s chest, not that it made much of a difference.

            “If he touched you—“

            “He didn’t,” I lied. “He just walked me to my room.”

            Chase took my arm and towed me to the room slamming the door behind him. “What the hell are you doing here, Nicole?”

            “I…I’m just…nothing,” I said hanging my head. “I was just trying to find somewhere to get away—“

            “And you come here?” he asked crossing his arms.

            “Yes, I didn’t know where to go—wait what are you doing here?” I asked putting my hands on my hips and raising an eyebrow at him.