Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Chase

            “Chase, you knew this would be hard on her. You shouldn’t have just walked off. It was wrong of you to snap at her because she told you the truth,” my father said.

            “I know, I just…I felt like she was rejecting me…I didn’t mean to,” I sighed putting my face in my hands.

            “Son, I know this has all been frustrating but you need to think before you speak or else you’ll get yourself in a load of trouble,” my father replied from his desk.

            “I just wonder out of all alpha females why I had to get stuck with the one who was raised human,” I spat out bitterly.

            “Chase,” my father’s voice was a low cautioning tone, causing me to look at him. He was staring past me and at the door.

            My eyes widened as I realized what I’d just said. I turned to the door and opened my mouth to explain myself.

            “Don’t,” she snapped, her eyes filling with tears. “Just don’t.”

            “Nicole,” I pleaded following her as she rushed to the door. “Wait, please. I—“

            “No, I get it, don’t worry. I’ll leave and get off your back,” she said wiping at her face, making my heart squeeze in pain.

            “Nicole, please, let me explain,” I pleaded trying to grab for her arm.

            “Chase, you don’t want me,” she stated. “I get it. I was raised human, tons of idiotic alphas are after me, and I am not ready to mate. I’m pretty much useless and stupid. I…I…”she trailed off as a fit of tears took over making her fall to her knees as she shook violently.

            I knelt down and pulled her to my chest. “I am so sorry, Nicole. It was wrong of me to say what I did. I didn’t mean it I swear. I could never mean something like that.”

            “Yes you did,” she sobbed nodding. “I’m the worst mate in history.”

            “Dammit, beautiful, you are perfect,” I snapped moving her blonde hair out of her face. “Don’t think otherwise, ever.”

            She pulled away and stood up, holding back more tears. “I’m gonna go for a walk.”

            “Beautiful, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” I said shaking my head.

            “We’ll keep an eye on her,” my mom said with Hannah at her side. “She’ll be fine, Chase.”

            I sighed and nodded, under their hard looks.

            As they were passing Hannah stopped to whisper to me: “You’ve really messed up this time Chase.”

            “I know,” I nodded my head slightly as a wave of sadness washed over me. “Make sure she knows I didn’t mean it. Han, I couldn’t mean something like this, you know me.”

            “I will,” she nodded patting my shoulder twice before walking on after Nicole and my mother.

            I wanted so badly to follow them, just to make sure she was okay but I my father called me back to his office then.

            “She’s going to be alright, Chase,” he assured me. “I know she will.”

            “I can’t believe I said that,” I shook my head. “I didn’t mean it…I was just…”

            “Venting,” my father nodded. “It’s understandable that you are frustrated and upset about all of this. I would even be.”

            “I…” I sighed loudly and nodded my head. “I’m going to my room. Can you send her up when they get back from their walk?”

            “Of course,” he nodded. “I think it is best that she stays here from now on, for safety reasons.”

            I nodded and walked out, up the stairs to my room.

            “Kelly?” I asked my eyebrows scrunching together as her slender form stood at my desk looking at a piece of paper…my homework I guess.

            “Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I heard everything,” she said. She blinked and bit her lip before continuing. “I don’t want to seem nosy or rude but…maybe you should sit down and have a long discussion about everything. You guys have been barreling through things without actually talking. You need a compromise. Cain said, when we mated, that I didn’t have to do the final step right away if I wasn’t ready. He had already claimed me and we’d already gone through the ceremony and for now that was enough for him. I, obviously, was ready but…maybe you could handle your situation that way,” she suggested without meeting my eyes.

            “Thank you, Kelly. That really helps,” I smiled nodding. “I’ll talk to her when she gets back.

            She smiled back and nodded once, her blonde curls rippling a bit. “It’ll work itself out Chase. These things always do.”

            “I know; thanks again, Kelly,” I said as she walked around me to exit my room.

            “Oh and…you got a letter. I put it on your desk,” she added before leaving the room.

            I walked to the letter and lifted the envelope. It was from Alpha Axle