Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Chase

            I sighed and climbed down from her window. I wasn’t about to go home when I neededto talk to her. I walked to the front door and knocked.

            “Clare! Get the door!” I heard a man’s voice yell. “Clare! Dammit! Nicole! Get your ass down here and get the door! Stupid bitches.”

            Finally I heard his footsteps head towards the door. When he opened it he peered at me. “Who the hell are you?” he said his voice mixed with the scents of alcohol and cigarettes.

            “I’m Chase,” I said. “I’m here to speak to Nicole.”

            “She ain’t feelin’ well,” he said.

            “I’d like to speak to her,” I said.

            “Well I’d like to break the law without getting arrested, but that ain’t gonna happen,” he replied.

            “Look sir I have notes for her to take. If she could just come out here and get them—“

            “Well she can’t. Now get off my property,” the man grumbled.

            I nodded and unwillingly walked away. As I was walking to the road a car pulled up and slid into the driveway.

            “Rob! Where’s my daughter and grandbaby?” an elderly woman asked stepping out of the car.

            The man turned into the house and yelled. “Clare! Nicole! Get down here!”

            I heard loud footsteps and then Nicole and her mother were both standing on the porch.

            “Ah, Nicole, you look so beautiful and grown up,” the woman smiled. Then her eyes shot to me. “You are?”

            “Chase,” I nodded holding out my hand. “I’m a friend of Nicole’s.”

            The woman’s eyes lit up. “You’re her mate, aren’t you?” the woman whispered to me. “She’s the generation that will turn.”

            I nodded slightly. “She’s not very accepting of it though.”

            “And you expect her to be?” she asked. “Honey, she was raised human. You were raised as a werewolf. This will take time.”

            “Chase what are you doing here?” Nicole asked walking up to me.

            “I just wanted to talk to you,” I said.

            “Leave,” she snapped crossing her arms. “I don’t want you here.”

            “Nicole, I—“

            “Please,” she had a sad look in her eyes making it hard to argue. My wolf wanted to stay but I knew it was better to go.

            I nodded and walked to my car. Before I left I put a present in her hand. I’d kept it under my seat in case I met my mate anytime soon.

            “Nicole I’m afraid there’s something I need to tell you,” the woman said as I climbed in my car.

            “What?” I heard the hesitative fear in Nicole’s voice that hurt me. I didn’t want to cause my mate pain. But I was.