Almost Out of Time

Picture of Nicole (played by Emma Roberts) on the side >>

CHAPTER 1

Nicole

So most girls at most schools run towards the “bad boys”. At my school we run from them. Being a bad boy here is a label for one breed of what most people call “mythical”. The bad boys—and girls—here are lycanthrope—yes that is another term for werewolf.

            To keep their secret safe we do not really allow outsiders in our tiny town. Everyone in town knows about them, but no one cares. We keep our distance and we know they won’t hurt us. The founding families and the lycanthrope made a treaty stating that if we keep their secret and don’t try to kill them then they will keep us safe and won’t harm us.

            I woke up at 8:15 in anger. I was late again! My father was too drunk to wake me up—which I found out when I’d finished getting ready and was about to leave. My mother was in her office working. 

            Arriving at school late wasn’t that bad. No one really cared…except me. I hated being late. But as I ran into the building I hated it even more. I bumped into someone. Not someone I’d ever want to bump into.

            Chase Matthews. The Bad Boy of Crewville—the entire town—also the son of the alpha. I met his greenish gold eyes and froze.

            “S-sorry,” I said my eyes flashing towards the floor.

            “You’re Nicole Windshaw right?” he asked.

            “Y-yeah,” I stuttered. “You’re Chase…”

            He chuckled once. “Yep, that’s me. Why do you look so scared?”

            “I’m n-not,” I said, but of course the stutter made him smirk.

            “Right, whatever,” he said. “You late?”

            I nodded. “So if you’ll excuse me…”

            “Hey you’re headed to Ms. Branch’s class, aren’t you?” he asked.

            “Yep,” I nodded.

            “So am I. Let’s go,” he said spinning on his heel and walking towards the classroom.

            I blinked for a moment and then jogged to catch up to him. When we walked in Ms. Branch’s English class everyone stared…everyone.

            “You’re late, Nicole,” Ms. Branch said.

            “So am I,” Chase said. “Don’t punish her unless you punish me.”

            I was baffled. None of the werewolves ever helped any humans. Not that I knew anyway. And from the other two that were in this class glaring at Chase, I was pretty sure it didn’t happen often.

            Ms. Branch was just as baffled as I was. She crossed her arms after a moment and spoke. “Go to your seats.”

            I obeyed immediately walking to my seat in the back corner. I didn’t sit near anyone my friends weren’t in this class. Chase looked at his friends before coming to sit beside me. They glanced at me before nodding at each other before returning their attention to Ms. Branch.