Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Chase

            “So how is she coming around to all of this?” my father asked as he poured himself a drink, only pausing once to consider offering me one—which he decided against, for obvious reasons.

            “It took a bit but I think she’s really starting to accept the fact that she’s one of us,” I nodded with a small smile. “I’ve seen her wolf. When I went to pick her up and that guy tried taking her. She shifted and went after him.”

            My father took a thoughtful sip of his drink before nodding. “It makes sense that she’d do that. She’s an alpha female, and someone was trying to take her from her mate. They can be very feisty.” He smirked at the last sentence.

            “Please don’t tell me,” I begged shaking my head.

            “I won’t but…you’ll know eventually,” he sighed smiling.

            I squeezed my eyes shut. “I have a feeling I won’t want to be thinking of you and mom when that moment comes.”

            “No you will not,” my father nodded his eyes wide.

            “So what is it you wanted to talk to me about?” I asked, shaking my head to clear that thought.

            “Your mate is very famous and rare. Meaning, many alphas would be overjoyed to have her as their mate,” my father said, making a growl rise in my throat. “The unmated ones are the only you should worry about. Some respect the true mate bond, but others only care about power. This is something you should be aware of. You have one of the most powerful alpha females in history as your mate. While you are away from here I want you to be vigilant and perceptive. Do not let her leave your side, at all. There are two alphas near us that would kill to mate with her. They wouldn’t change their minds unless they found their true mates, which is unlikely to happen in the near future. You and Nicole will need to mate sooner rather than later. Once she is mated with you she will be untouchable to others.”

            “I wanted to wait until she was ready,” I said softly.

            “I know son. But that might be too long of a wait. This is the only way to keep her safe, other than fighting continuously until she is ready. They won’t give up easily,” he nodded.

            “I figured you would say that. Look I’ll talk to her about it. But I’m not making any promises. If she isn’t ready I’m not forcing her to do it. That is something that can’t be given back if you force. She’s only seventeen and was raised human. The final process in the mating ritual is something important to her…something that should never be forced or taken,” I said, sounding strong and confident.

            The mating ritual was long and intimate. First we have a ceremony, like a wedding almost. Then we exchange blood by biting our mate’s neck, not sucking blood, just a bite. Last we consummate, which I have a feeling will be the most difficult part for Nicole to agree to.

            “Shit,” I cursed hanging my head.

            “What?” my father asked, not even caring to comment on my cussing.

            “I’ll have to explain the process to her…and ask her to do them with me,” I said my cheeks burning red. That will be an awkward conversation.

            My father just laughed at me. “Yeah well, that is a touchy subject with women. But it has to be done. In your case it’s going to be a bit more difficult.”