Explanation

TW:

Nobody POV
LesbianOfDoom created a group chat

LesbianOfDoom: ... what just happened?

LittleBrother1: I dont know

LittleBrother2: Jack just betrayed us! Thats what happened!

AlbertoWithoutAShirto: but why!?

BetsAndRaces: i have no idea

Davey: Wouldn't he have a reason?

Finch: i dont really care if he has a reason

KingOfBrooklyn: yeah, what he did was really ... not nice

BetsAndRaces: Nice save

KingOfBrooklyn: shut it

WarbyParker: But he had to have a reason

FlirtingMenace: but even if he had an amazing reason why would he do it?

Davey: I don't know

LesbianOfDoom: neither do i

LesbianOfDemise: we will probably find out soon. Lets just hope its a good excuse.

Davey POV
It feels like I've been torn in two. On one hand, I want to know Jack's reason. I know he wouldn't just betray us. But on the other, I don't want to even talk to him. Why should I?! He betrayed me. He betrayed the gang. All because of Pulitzer. And we had worked so hard. I sighed and put my head in my hands.

"You still thinking about it?" Sarah asked. We were both just hanging out in her room.

"Yeah," I sighed. I sat up. "I know he wouldn't betray us without a reason. But I don't want to hear his reason! Gosh its just so conflicting." I groaned, laying back down. Sarah chuckled a little bit.

"You have it harder. With your crush and all," She teased. I threw a pillow at her and heard a muffled curse. "Throw pillows at me all you want, its not going to change the fact that you have a crush." As she said that, my phone chimed.

"Jack?!" I said aloud. He had texted me.

"What did he say?" Sarah asked.

"He texted me a Crutchie and told us to meet him at the picnic table by school tonight if we want answers." I responded to her. She frowned.

"What are you thinking?" She asked. I chewed on my lip a little bit.

"I think I'm going to go. It may be our only time to get answers." I said. I picked up my phone and texted back.

Davey: What time?

JackBeNimble: 9:45, if you can

Davey: Got it.

I showed Sarah the texts and she nodded her approval. I checked the time and slipped on a sweatshirt. I walked out of my room and to the front door.

"And where are you going?" I heard my mom ask. I turned around to look at her.

"I'm going to see a friend. It's important." I added after she gave me a 'really?' look. "I promise to be back by 10:30, okay?" With this she nodded. I slipped out of the door and padded silently through the hallway of our apartment complex. I walked outside onto the quiet streets. It wasn't too dark yet, but in about an hour it would be. I started walking towards the school.

I got there sooner than I expected. When I got near it, I suddenly heard someone walking near me. I suddenly spinned around and was met with Crutchie.

"Oh my god, you scared me!" I exclaimed, to which he just laughed. I laughed with him. My laugh hitched a little when I saw his eye, and I know he noticed.

"It's fine. I just fell a little while ago," he explained with a shrug. I didn't trust what he had said, but didn't push. We started walking to the school together.

"There he is," I muttered and shook my head towards where Jack was sitting. Crutchie sighed.

"Let's see what his excuse it," He mumbled and started forward. Jack must have heard him, because his head snapped up. A small smile appeared on his face when we made our way over. We both sat down, and there was a moment of awkward silence between us.

"So." I finally said.

"Why did you do it?" Crutchie asked after, as if he needed someone else to say something first. Jack sighed and looked at the table. "Why did you bash all of our hope of changing these stupid rules?" Crutchie's voice sounded impossibly small, and I knew Jack must be breaking apart hearing this. Jack took a deep breath.

"It might take a little bit of an explanation."