Chapter 10- What Just Happened?

“Tell me everything!” I was just heading to art when Lily pulled me into the girls washroom and cornered me.

“Woah about what?” 

“Don’t play dumb Autumn what happened yesterday?”

“Hold on.” I pushed passed Lily, and knelt down to see if there was anyone in the stalls. I saw no feet, so I went back to Lily. “Listen this is to stay between you and I got it? I don’t want to go telling everyone making some big deal out of nothing.” Lily nodded her head excitedly. “After Zayn and I had finished studying we had a moment. We just talked, and I honestly felt like I could tell him anything. At one point we were so close to kissing Lily, but then my dad came home. That’s it.” Lily’s jaw dropped.

“You say that’s nothing?! Zayn freaking Malik, bad boy hottie almost kissed you!” I let out a little laugh. When Lily said it, it sounded way more important.

“You’re overreacting he probably forgot about it already.”

“Are you one of those kinds where you build yourself down to bring yourself right back up? You always look at the bright side when giving me advice, but you can’t do that for yourself?”

“Lily I have to go to class okay?” Lily crossed her arms. Before she could say another word the bathroom door opened Lily pulled me in to the empty stall beside us. “What the hell Lily let me go.” Lily put her finger over mouth indicating for me to be quiet.

“I’m so excited for this weekend guys!” I could recognize that voice anywhere it was Kristen. 

“I can’t believe you guys are hanging out!” One of her annoying friends squealed. 

“Zayn and I in a cozy cafe, together.” My heart dropped. Zayn agreed to go out with Kristen I thought he said no. I looked at Lily my eyes got watery. 

“I’m so sorry,” She whispered. I couldn’t take it anymore I opened the stall door and walked out trying to look like I was fine. 

“Ew.” Kristen said as she gave me one of her signature dirty looks. I continued to walk out of girls washroom and into art.

Art was torture. I hated being in the same room with Kristen and Zayn they constantly flirted with each other...Well Kristen flirted while Zayn just smiled. I kept my eyes on my sketchbook pushing my pencil hard onto the paper. When the bell rang I quickly picked up my bag and left without a word to Zayn. 

“Hey Autumn!” Louis greeted me at our usual table in the cafeteria.

“Hey Lou!” I said with a smile trying to seem happy, while inside I felt like I was about to explode. We began to talk about our plans for the weekend, while everyone else joined us. Lily sat beside me and gave me a small smile.

“How are you?” She put her hand on top of mine.

“I’m fine Lily, really!” I slipped my hand away and pulled out a sandwich bag filled with cut up carrots. 

“Ohlala carrots!” Louis said with a grin on his face. 

“Here, go for it.” I threw the bag over to him.

“You sure?” 

“I’m not really hungry.” I looked around the room and spotted Jennifer, Liam, and Zayn sitting together. I could see Zayn turning his head slightly, so I flipped my head around to face back to the table I couldn’t look at him without feeling something. 

It was the end of the day and all I had now was French. I was ready to write my test and leave. I kept my eyes on my test the entire time, I couldn’t risk looking around the room and finding myself staring at him. The test was easy for me, but I wondered about Zayn. Did he find it easy? Had I prepared him enough for it? Did he get question number 16 right? Why the heck was I so concerned about him? I was the last person on his mind why should I be so worried? I handed in my test when the bell rang, and Zayn surprisingly walked up right behind me. I was impressed I thought it would take him longer finish it. I headed straight for my locker, and began to slip on my coat. I slammed my locker shut, but I jumped when I saw who was on the other side of the locker door. 

“You are my hero.” Zayn leaned against my locker looking hotter than ever. 

“What do you mean?” Was all I could say.

“I knew basically everything on that test Autumn! And it’s all thanks to you!” He had a huge smile on his face.

“That’s great Zayn I’m glad!” I kept things short.

“Why do you look so upset, is everything okay?” His smile faded.

“Oh I’m fine just stressed and all.” I lied.

“Well here’s something that will cheer you up!” He searched around his backpack and pulled out a brown paper bag. “Here take it.” I grabbed it from him with a confused look on my face.

“What is it you didn’t have to get me anything.” 

“It’s a cupcake from one of my favourite bakery’s. Your friend Harry actually works there. Anyway I thought it would be my way of saying thanks.” I smiled at him, staring into his glorious brown eyes. 

“Thanks Zayn it’s really sweet of you.” We stood there looking at each other, but stopped when I heard an annoying voice.

“ZAYN!” Kristen waved to him from across the hall. 

“I gotta go I promised Kristen I would walk her home.” Before he could say anything else I cut him off.

“Yeah go! I have to be heading home anyway. See ya!” I spun around and walked straight out the main doors trying to forget.