Chapter 2- Fancy Seeing You Here

I was a mix of emotions when I woke up the following Tuesday. It was my first day at my new school, and I was both nervous and slightly excited. I rolled out of bed and headed to the kitchen. My dad had already left for work, but had left me a note on the counter. 

Have a nice day at school I’ll be home late.

-Dad

I remember when my dad used to leave me notes, mom and him would each write a note and stick it in my lunch box. I wish she was here to wish me luck, she would always find a way to calm me down. I walked over to my bathroom and put on my school uniform my dad had picked it up last week. We could wear any bottoms we wanted as long as it was black and hit the knee. The school shirt was a simple white polo with the logo, and you had the option of wearing their green sweater or green cardigan. I had to admit it didn’t look too bad. I chose to wear black skinny jeans, the polo, and the cardigan. I curled my hair so it was nice and wavy and pinned my bangs back in a braid. I peeked inside my jewelry box and put on the necklace my mother had given to me for my grade 8 graduation. It was a heart shaped silver pendant with ‘Forever' engraved on it. I started at my reflection, I looked so much like my mother. I had her soft hazel eyes, her pale skin, and dark brown hair. However I definitely had my dads smile I haven’t seen his in a while. I grabbed my backpack, slipped on my black combats, and snatched my black sketch book that my dad had given to me for my birthday. I headed out the door, and began to walk to school. Luckily my school was only a 20 minute walk back home I had to take the public bus which sucked. The weather was great that day, the leaves were starting to change colour, and there was a slight breeze. When I got to the school, I headed straight to the office to get my schedule. 

“Autumn Williams,” The woman on the other side of the desk said under her breath as she look through some files. “Ah here we go!” She handed me my schedule with a big smile on her face. “You have English, Visual Art, World History, and French this semester.” 

“Great, thank you so much.” I walked out and decided to go to my locker. 

Getting my locker open was no easy task the lock seemed to be stuck. I stood there like an idiot tugging and pulling at the lock hoping it would magically open. I decided to tug the lock with all my weight, but my papers went flying instead. 

“Shit.” I huffed under my breath as I picked up some loose sheets. 

“Here let me help.” A familiar voice knelt beside me and helped me. 

“Harry!” I shouted excitedly, he looked over at me with a warm smile on his face.

“Autumn! Wow it’s great seeing you!”

“Yeah! Awesome I know someone!” He both stood up and gave a quick hug. He began to hand me my papers. “It seems like you’re always coming to my rescue.” I joked, remembering last week at the pizza parlor. 

“It’s no problem! Hey let me see if we have anything together.” He grabbed my schedule and began to analyze it. “We have English together!” 

“Yay! Also, since you have been coming to my rescue lately mind doing one last thing for me Superman?” 

“What can I do for you?” He laughed.

“Mind opening my locker?”

Harry and I walked to English together, he filled me in on my teachers. 

“We have Miss.Daniels now she’s nice, but man is she a hard marker. Be prepared to work your ass off.”

“I think I can do it!” We walked into class and made sure we took a seat close to each other. Miss.Daniels walked in looking flustered with a stack of binders in her hands. Student began to pour into class filling up some seats. A girl with ginger hair and green eyes headed over to a spot near me. 

“Hey Harry!” She greeted with a big smile.

“Hey Lily! This is my friend Autumn, she’s new.” 

“Nice to meet you!” She set her things down on the table next to me and gave me and waved.

“Nice to meet you too!” 

English was one of my favourite subjects, so I didn’t find it as bad as Harry was making it seem. We were going to start reading ‘Macbeth’ which was one of my favourite plays by Shakespeare. I had already written an essay on it back home, so it was going to be a piece of cake. 

“Well that was boring who wants to read Shakespeare?” Harry complained as we headed to our next class.

“Unlike you Harry some people are actually looking forward to it.” Lily said smugly, I nodded my head agreeing with her. 

“Give it a shot maybe you’ll like it.” I added.

“Bleh I doubt that. Well I’ll see you guys later time for Calculus.” He rolled his eyes.

“Have fun!” Lily and I said in unison giggling. 

“I better go too, Biology awaits.” Lily huffed.

“I’ll see you at lunch?”

“Definitely!” We both headed our separate ways. Surprisingly it wasn’t hard making friends here, so far everyone has been pretty nice.