Prologue

I had finally finished packing everything. A couple of boxes, and a suitcase were the only things left standing. My life was in those boxes, everything i’ve known, packed. It was a little sad to see my room so empty, usually my room was messy, bright, and colourful. But now all my walls were white, closet empty, picture frames gone. Tomorrow my dad and I would leave for London, leaving all i’ve ever known behind. 

   After my mom had died, I assumed we wouldn’t be leaving. I thought my dad and I would act like nothing ever happened, and we would continue to live our lives. We would continue to have family game night on friday evenings, he would come to my soccer games after school, we would go to our favourite Italian restaurant to celebrate every time I aced a test. But I was wrong, things didn’t go back to normal. My dad got a job offer in England, and thought I would be happy to move. That was the last thing I was feeling. He thought moving would help us move on, however I felt like he was doing it to forget her. Watching my dad say goodbye to my mother was torture. He basically lived in the hospital during her final weeks. It was just as hard for me to say good bye. I hated seeing her in the hospital dying, she looked so weak. I needed my mom more than ever now, I couldn’t do this alone. 

“Autumn,” My dad knocked on my door and poked his head in. “We got a long flight tomorrow. I think it’s time to go to bed.” I turned my head to look at him. He looked so tired with dark circles under his eyes.

“Yeah I will.” I smiled, trying to seem like I was fine. I never wanted to see my dad upset again, so I made sure I kept him happy by doing what he wanted. But deep down inside I was angry, I didn’t want to say goodbye to the life I lived here in Montreal. I wanted to stay.