Chapter Five

~°Noah's POV°~

I jump down from the black Toyota tundra and slide my bag back to my right shoulder. I pop my head to the window and Joel hands me the five thousand naira mum promised.

I smile as I count it, fold and place it neatly inside my pocket.

"2pm!" I say and trudge into the school, both hands to my pockets and my face bent to the ground. I can see the junior students stare at me as well as the oh-so-mighty SS3 girls. They all drool. As for the boys, they die of jealousy.

The bell rings. Dammit!

Expectedly, Chinenye and her swarm of prefect's majestically catwalk down the stairs and to the assembly ground.

She acts like she's on top everyone else but literally, she isn't. I am.

I continue my journey and place my bag on the stool, headed to the SS2 boys line. Everywhere seems calm and quiet and I realize Akum hasn't arrived school yet. She normally comes by this time and anything later, she was gonna come to class all frazzled up.

"Hey man!" Nonso calls and we do our special handshake, slamming our chest together.

"Omo e be like say Miss Betty don nack o!" he exclaims with a smile.

I turn back to see the chemistry teacher, Miss Betty, and the government teacher, Mr. Nicholas, holding hands and laughing about something they must have found really funny, given they were both on duty but were just hanging around like a bunch of teenagers.

"That one na entanglement o!" I reply and Nonso bursts out laughing once again in his deep masculine bass voice.

"E be like say Israel mind go burst today," he adds and joins the line as the so called prefects approach us.

Although I am aware Miss Betty and Mr. Nicholas are both single, I still highly doubt the fact that they're going to be a thing.

The assembly commences and as usual, the inspection begins. I look around. Everybody is in school apart from Akum.

Where is she now?

"Your nails," I hear Chinenye say, her strict face looking up at me. Usually, she left her hair to fall below her back but then it seems the gods intervened. Her fair supposedly bleached skin shines beautifully in the sun and her juicy lips bombarded with lip gloss, curl.

"I said your nails," she says again, looking me straight in the eye.

For someone I've dated, she sure seems cold. She was never like this when we were together under the rain, the sheets, in my car or at the movies. Her position has gotten so thick into her skull and I just wonder how I ever dated her.

Noah Thompson, why?

"Sure," I say with a smile and stretch my hands to her, revealing my long pointed sharp nails. She bats her lashes and looks up at me again.

"Go out!" she orders with a stern look.

"What if I don't want to?" I ask, grabbing her hands into mine. Immediately, I see it. Her cheeks turn crimson and inasmuch as she tries to bring up her normal strict face, she can't. It is too late.

"I - don't - want - to," I say again, winking at her. This time, she is literally a red tomato.

It works. It always works.

"Okay, I - you- " she stops and looks around for a moment. "Don't lean on the pavement!" she orders.

"What if I want to?" I ask, biting my lip and staring coldly into her brown eyes, my back to the cold cemented pavement that supported my balance perfectly.