Chapter 50

"And just what do you think you are doing?" Katherine asked, standing behind Stefan with her hands on her hips.

Stefan sighed as he turned slightly to acknowledge her, giving her an innocent smile as he used the countertop to help keep himself steady. "I'm making Elena breakfast" Stefan answered.

Katherine gave him that disapproving, motherly look. "You heard what the doctor said. You've got three more days of bedrest" Katherine reminded. "Which, I'm pretty sure does not entail you in the kitchen, cooking" Katherine said, grabbing the spatula out of his hands.

Stefan sighed again. "Come on Katherine, I'm just trying to do something nice for her. She's been so amazing, taking care of me this past week."

Katherine opened her mouth to argue, but couldn't think of something to say that would persuade him to go back to bed. "I'd love to take credit for how adorably sweet you are, but everyone knows I'm not that nice" she said with a small smirk.

Stefan smiled. "You're plenty nice, when you want to be" he said, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her in for a hug. Then he kissed the top of her head.

Katherine looked up at him and grabbed his face in her hands. "We must've done something right, your brother and I" she said, looking into his eyes and smiling.

"You two did everything right" Stefan told her. "I appreciate everything you did and still do for me" he said honestly.

Katherine patted his cheek and smiled. "I love you Stefan" she said, handing him back the spatula. "Now get back to that bacon you're burning" she added before stepping back and going to the refrigerator.

Stefan shook his head and grinned. "I'm not burning it. Elena just likes it crispy" he explained.

"Whatever you say" Katherine said, twisting the lid off of her juice. "I'll be outside if you need me."

Stefan turned off the stove and grabbed for a plate, piling it with bacon and waffles. He placed the plate on a wooden tray, added a small bowl of fruit, syrup, a glass of orange juice, a cup of coffee and a single flower he had stolen from one of Katherine's bouquets in the living room. Stefan studied the tray and once he was satisfied with it all, he grabbed it and slowly made his way back upstairs.

He pushed the bedroom door open and found Elena still asleep. He stared at her for a moment and smiled before making his way over to the bed and setting the tray aside. Then he sat down on the bed and placed his hand on her leg, shaking it gently. "Elena" he said quietly.

Elena sighed as she slowly opened her eyes and found Stefan looking down at her. She couldn't help but smile. "Hi" she said.

"Hi" he said back as he leaned down and kissed her lips softly. "I made you breakfast" he said, glancing over at the tray. Stefan watched her open her mouth to remind him that he was not supposed to be up out of bed making breakfast. "Katherine already gave me the lecture" he said with a small grin.

Elena smiled instead. She knew how difficult it was for him to stay in bed. He was bored and antsy. She didn't blame him. Instead of giving him another lecture, Elena sat up and reached for his hand. She laced her fingers through his, enjoying how good it felt to have him there with her. "Thank you for breakfast, Stefan" she said. Elena reached over and grabbed for a piece of bacon while Stefan settled on the bed next to her.

"So I was thinking, we should go do something today. Get out of the house for a few hours" Stefan said.

Elena sighed, setting her bacon back down. "I know you hate being cooped up in this house" Elena said. She really did empathize with him. "But you're recovering from a serious injury. I don't think it is a good idea to be leaving the house just quite yet." She watched the hopefulness in his eyes slowly fade and it made her feel terrible. "We can watch a movie" Elena offered.