Chapter 40

"He looks miserable" Katherine said, watching Stefan walk towards his office. She was leaning against the doorway of Damon's office with a glass of tea between her hands. "Even his walk is sad" she pointed out.

Damon sighed. "He's fine" Damon said.

"Where is the little ..." she started to ask, then caught herself. Maybe calling Elena a name was not in her best interest seeing as how everyone still treated her like family. "Where's Elena?" Katherine asked.

Damon eyed her carefully, warning her to watch her mouth. Stefan would not want Katherine talking badly about Elena either. "She had an appointment this morning, but said she should be back around lunchtime" Damon answered, checking his watch and noting it was almost noon.

"Huh" Katherine replied. "Barely one week on the job and she's already asking for time off" she mentioned.

"Quit" Damon warned, pointing a pen at her. "She's not hurting him on purpose" he pointed out. "She's a good kid."

Katherine rolled her eyes. "All I know is she's the reason Stefan is moping around like a lost puppy" Katherine retorted. She walked back to Damon's desk, leaned over it, and placed a soft kiss against his lips. "But what do I know" she said with a small shrug. Then she left.

Stefan was sitting at his desk staring at work on the computer that needed to be started. He just couldn't focus. He was surprised he even managed a few hours of sleep without her. She hadn't told him she wanted to break up forever, but even a night without her felt like pure hell.

He looked up when he heard someone walk in. A knot in his stomach formed when he saw Elena looking nervously at him from the doorway, almost as if she was not sure if she should be there or not.

"Hey" she said quietly. He simply nodded at her, then looked away. Elena felt horrible. "I just need to grab a few things" she mentioned. She planned to go back to Damon's office and work. It was all part of her plan to give herself space. In her mind it made sense, but in her heart, it didn't. It hurt.

Stefan heard her sigh and watched from the corner of his eye as she moved to her desk to grab what she needed.

Elena walked back towards the door with her folders in hand. She stopped before leaving and glanced back at him. He was trying so hard to pretend like she was not there. "I had my first therapy session earlier" she mentioned. She wanted him to know that she meant what she said about working on herself. When Stefan did not indicate that he was interested, she frowned. She was really proud of herself. "I think it went really well" she added, hoping for something from him. Anything. She got nothing. "Bye Stefan" she said softly, giving up on trying to engage with him.

Stefan closed his eyes, having heard the sadness in her voice. He should have responded to her comment about therapy. It was a big step for anyone, and he had been eager to talk to her about his sessions. He sighed and leaned back in his chair, trying to find any motivation to get some work done.

XXXX

"You don't have to babysit me" Stefan said, looking at the bags of takeout Katherine had laid out on his kitchen counter.

Katherine scoffed as she placed her hands on her hips. "I'm offended that you would think that's why I'm here" she told him, opening one of the boxes. "I just wanted to spend time with you. I even brought you Thai food because I know it is your favorite" she reminded him.

Stefan smirked. "Thai is your favorite" he reminded.

Katherine paused and thought about his response. "True" she agreed. "But I still wanted to spend time with you." She dished up a plate for him, her motherly instinct kicking in. Then she made herself a plate and followed him to the couch in the living room. She sat down right beside him, giving him zero personal space.