Chapter 38

Elena yawned the moment she walked inside the house. Stefan yawned as well. It was almost seven in the evening and even though they had left work over two hours ago, stopping for dinner and traffic had delayed their return home.

The eight hour work day had kicked both their asses. "I am ... so tired" Elena said, trying to stifle another yawn and failing. She dropped her bag by the door and walked into the living room to plop down on the couch.

Stefan wasn't far behind her, hanging his keys up and joining her. He moved to be beside her, wrapping an arm around her and inviting her to curl into his side so they could both more comfortably fit on the couch together. Stefan heard Elena sigh softly and knew she would be asleep soon. "I pictured our evening differently" he mentioned quietly. He had been so excited to get home to spend some quality, intimate time with her. Now that he was home, he just wanted to go to sleep too.

Elena murmured softly in agreement. "We must be getting old if we can't handle an eight hour work day" she said.

Stefan smiled. Her response reminded him of something. "Speaking of getting old, someone has a birthday coming up" Stefan reminded. Her 21st.

Elena groaned. "I'm skipping my birthday this year" she informed him. She had too much on her mind to worry about turning another year older.

"You can't skip birthdays" he smiled. He was planning on doing something really special for her, since he had blown the last one by staying out late and drinking.

Elena lifted her head so she could see his face. "Just something low-key. Dinner at Damon's house" she told him, knowing he was already planning something.

"Low-key. Got it" he promised.

She kissed his chin and then rested her head back down against his chest, listening to him breathing softly. "I was thinking we should decorate the beach a bit for the wedding" Elena mentioned quietly. "If we got there early, we could do something special for them." After everything Damon had done for them, she wanted to give back in some way. Sure, it was a quick decision to get remarried, but that didn't mean the ceremony couldn't be special.

Stefan kissed her head and rubbed her back gently. "You're the most thoughtful person I know" he said softly.

Elena shrugged. "I think he deserves to have something nice done for him once in a while."

"I think so too" Stefan replied. He thought that maybe he did not try hard enough sometimes to show his appreciation. Although Damon had to serve up some tough love sometimes, Stefan knew that Damon had never given up on him.

"We should really get to bed" Elena said, yawning again. She closed her eyes.

"Yeah, we should" Stefan agreed. But he made no effort to move, and neither did she. Elena sighed contently and after a moment or two, Stefan knew she was asleep.

XXXX

Elena had hurried them out the door the next morning, insisting that they could not even be 30 seconds late. Stefan had struggled to get out of bed, feeling the effects of a previous eight hour work day after having been on his own schedule for so long.

So he was sitting at his desk with his feet propped up on another chair, sipping a cup of coffee and staring at a computer screen. The day was dragging. This job was nowhere near as busy as his last job. He kind of liked the downtime though. Stefan had left the office door open to enjoy some of that fresh South Carolina breeze blowing through.

"Knock knock" Katherine said, poking her head into the office. She smiled when she saw Stefan. "Where's Elena?" she asked, letting herself inside.

Stefan smiled back and took his feet off of the chair. He motioned for her to come and take a seat. "Damon sent her on an errand" he answered. She had been gone for almost an hour.