Chapter 28

"You okay?" Damon asked, studying Elena as she sat in the chair across from him outside on the deck. Her eyes had dark circles under them, darker than usual, and her body posture told him she was exhausted.

Elena's head popped up a little and she looked at him. His question had startled her. She smiled weakly. "I'm fine" she told him, doing her best to sound honest about it.

Damon tapped his fingers on the arm of the chair. He did not believe her. "Are you still taking your meds?" he asked hesitantly. The last thing he wanted to do was offend her. But he also wanted to make sure she was doing everything she could to help herself.

Elena's smile slowly faded. "I told you I would" she answered. She was careful not to be short with him, because he was helping her out with a lot of things lately. But her medication was a touchy subject for her. She hadn't wanted to go on it in the first place, but her doctor and Damon thought it would be a good idea.

"You just look like you haven't been sleeping" he said, stating his concern.

Elena slouched in her chair even more. "I haven't" she told him honestly. "I have my first therapy session with Stefan in an hour" she added, rubbing her hands together out of nervousness.

Damon sighed. He hated seeing how stressed out she was about it. "He wouldn't want you to be this anxious about going to his session with him" Damon told her. No matter how thrilled Stefan was to have Elena join him, he would never put his wellbeing before her own. "You don't have to go, if you're not ready yet."

Elena closed her eyes, contemplating skipping the session. Again. "I can't do that to him again. I told him I would go" Elena responded. She told him she would try.

"I hope it goes well, for you both" Damon told her with a small, reassuring smile. He feared it would be a disaster though, and would only drive them apart again after they had been growing closer the last few weeks or so. Damon knew Elena wanted answers that Stefan was unwilling to give.

"I hope so too" Elena said. "I hope so too."

XXXX

Stefan was waiting for Elena on the bench outside of the building with two frozen coffees in hand. It was another warm day, which made even the toughest days a little better. His day had been going great, and he had a feeling it was about to get even better. Dr. Erickson was going to help him work things out with Elena.

When he saw her drive up in his brother's car, he stood and walked over to meet her. "Hi" Stefan said, smiling as he watched her get out of the car. Elena smiled back and gave him a small wave. "This is for you" he said quickly, handing her one of the frozen coffees he had picked up. "Dr. Erickson's coffee isn't the best" he added.

Elena accepted the coffee. "Thank you Stefan" she said, letting out a nervous breath.

Stefan reached out and grabbed her hand with his when he noticed how nervous she was. "There's nothing to be worried about" he assured her. "I promise."

Elena nodded, forcing a smile. She wished she believed him. She allowed Stefan to continue holding her hand as they walked into the office together. Dr. Erickson appeared with his usual kind and genuine smile. Elena quickly took her hand back from Stefan when she noticed the psychologist looking at them.

"Welcome" he said. He directed them back into the office and shut the door behind them. "I'm so glad you could both be here." He grabbed for his notepad and pen and then sat across from them both. "So, today I thought we might start with a check-in to see how you are feeling today" he explained. "Feel free to use one of my many charts posted on the walls in here" he added.