Chapter 21

"You've done some good work here" Dr. Erickson said, extending his hand out for Stefan to shake.

It was Sunday morning. Stefan adjusted his duffle bag on his shoulder before shaking the psychologist's hand. "Thank you" Stefan said politely. "I still have work to do, but I am feeling pretty optimistic right now" Stefan told him. It was the truth, to some degree.

Dr. Erickson nodded. "We'll start out with weekly appointments and go from there" he explained. He was going to miss seeing Stefan every day, but he knew Stefan was ready to go home. "I need to remind you that the protection order against you is still in place. You cannot contact Elena, or you could be arrested" he reminded bluntly.

Stefan nodded this time. "I know" he replied. He was well aware of the protection order against him. It haunted him every day. "I should get going" he added, anxious to get out of there. Six months had been a long time to be away from home. Despite how nervous he was to leave, he knew he was ready. He hoped.

"I'll see you next week" Dr. Erickson said politely.

Stefan took comfort in knowing that he would still have the guidance of his psychologist, just in case. "See you next week" Stefan said, confirming with a nod.

Then Stefan took a deep, calming breath as he walked out of the doors of the rehabilitation center. He had to put his sunglasses on because the June sun was shining bright that morning, though it was still a bit chilly out. Stefan walked over to a bench and sat down to wait for the bus.

He had not told Damon he was coming home. Truthfully, he had only made the decision a few days earlier. Stefan wanted to make sure he was truly ready to leave. Going back home and making things right with Damon and Elena was not going to be easy. As he waited for his bus, he pulled his wedding band out of his pocket. It had been on his mind lately as he wondered what he should do with it.

He was officially divorced, so really there was no reason to hang onto it. Yet getting rid of it made the divorce feel more real than he cared to believe.

Even if they were divorced on paper, she was still someone he loved very much.

The bus honking made him jump slightly, nearly dropping the ring. He quickly pocketed it and stood, ready to make the trip home.

XXXX

Damon had let it slip one day while visiting. They were drinking sweet tea out on the lawn when Damon had accidentally told Stefan where Elena was living. Damon was on a rant about how the landlord was overcharging Elena for the place and how the guy never fixed anything that went wrong.

So it did not take long for Stefan to locate the house Elena was renting. He got straight off the bus, choosing to avoid going back to his house he once shared with Elena for as long as he could. It killed him to know she no longer lived there.

But she was not currently at her new home either.

Stefan stood on the sidewalk across the street and waited. He did not know where she was or how long it would take her to arrive home, but he had nothing else to do.

His psychologist's words continued to remind him that he should not have been there. Elena had a protection order against him and all she had to do was call the police.

But he needed to see her. It was one thing for Damon to tell him how she was doing. He wanted to see for himself.

Stefan fully expected Elena to not want to see him, and he was trying to mentally prepare himself for that. He was not sure that was possible though.

When her car finally turned into the driveway, his anxiety skyrocketed. Elena was driving an older car, one that she had probably bought herself. The driver's side door squeaked open as she got out, holding a bag of groceries.