Chapter 27

"I'm sorry, Stefan. I don't think she's coming" Dr. Erickson said patiently. It was two minutes before the end of the session. Although Stefan had participated in the session, his mind had been elsewhere, watching the clock and waiting on Elena.

Stefan tore his eyes away from the clock reluctantly. "She probably had something come up" he said. He knew she had not forgotten because that was not like her. And he refused to believe she had decided not to show. "I'll see you next week" he told Dr. Erickson, standing slowly.

"I'll see you Tuesday" Dr. Erickson said as he stood and walked him out. As Stefan walked away, Dr. Erickson felt the need to say something reassuring. "She might not be ready" he said, causing Stefan to stop. "She might come to a session when it is the right time for her."

"Maybe" Stefan nodded, continuing down the hallway and then outside.

XXXX

Elena walked nervously to the front door, noting that the building lights appeared to be off. She tried the door. Locked. It was stupid to think the office would be open that late in the evening. But it was the time Elena had convinced herself to show up. She frowned and turned to head back to the bus stop.

The door opened suddenly. "Can I help you?" an older gentleman asked.

Elena turned around, somewhat startled by someone speaking to her. She found a professional, casually dressed man standing in the doorway. Elena nervously tucked her hair behind her ear. "Oh, I ... well ... I was supposed to be here earlier, but I see that you're closed" she explained.

The man smiled. "Elena, I presume?" he asked slowly. Elena nodded. "I'm Dr. Erickson. Stefan was waiting for you. I told him you would be here when you were ready."

Elena felt relieved that the psychologist understood why she had not shown. Still, she should have shown up earlier. "I should get going. I'm sorry I missed the appointment" she said quickly, turning to continue on her way.

"Elena?" he asked. She stopped again. "You're welcome to come in now and talk. I have time" he offered.

Elena turned around slowly to look at him again. "Without Stefan?" she asked apprehensively.

Dr. Erickson nodded. "I'll consider this an extension of Stefan's earlier appointment" he assured her, holding the door open for her.

Elena hesitated, but made her way inside the building finally. The lights were flipped on as he led her to an office towards the back. "Please, have a seat" Dr. Erickson said. "Can I get you anything to drink? Water, tea, coffee?" he asked.

Elena shook her head no. "I'm fine, but thank you" she replied, taking a seat in a chair across from where he sat. She took a moment to look around the room, studying the artwork.

"Before we start, I want to show you this" Dr. Erickson said, digging a paper out of a file folder nearby. He handed it to Elena. "This is an ROI, a release of information" he told her. "This is something Stefan signed, giving me permission to speak with you and share information with you regarding Stefan and his treatment here" he explained.

Elena scanned the paper, seeing her name and Stefan's signature. "Okay" she said, swallowing nervously. "Sorry, I'm really nervous" she said.

Dr. Erickson smiled empathetically. "Is this your first time in therapy?" he asked, leaning back in his chair some.

She shook her no. "After my parents died, I saw a therapist once or twice" she answered. She had not really found it helpful.

"Was it beneficial for you?" he asked curiously.