Chapter 53

Elena had dried her tears before going inside to see Jeremy. She stood just out of sight and watched as Jeremy sat next to Katherine, watching T.V. He had gotten so big and she wondered how she had ever let so much time pass.

She felt Stefan take her hand in his, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. It gave her the confidence she needed to walk into the room.

Katherine saw her first. "Hey Jeremy, your sister is home" she said, pointing at Elena and grabbing the remote to mute the T.V.

Elena already felt the tears pricking at the backs of her eyes again when Jeremy turned towards her. His face showed little recognition and the guilt hit her hard. He didn't know her, because she had not made the effort to see him. "Hey, Jer" Elena said softly, doing her best not to let him see her cry. Elena approached slowly and knelt down in front of him. She looked him over, realizing how big he really was now. "You've gotten so big since the last time I saw you."

Jeremy stared at her for a moment, taking her in. "How big was I last time?" he asked curiously.

Elena held out her hands to show him. "You were really little" Elena told him. Jeremy smiled and it melted her heart.

"I'm almost tall enough to go on the big rollercoaster now" Jeremy said.

It made Elena smile. "We'll have to take you to Disney World so you can ride a really, really big rollercoaster" Elena told him.

Jeremy's eyes lit up. "How big are the rollercoasters there?" he asked.

"Really big" Elena told him, running her hand over his ruffled brown hair.

Jeremy turned to look at Katherine who nodded, confirming that Elena was in fact correct. "That sounds like a lot of fun" Jeremy said, turning back to the muted T.V.

Katherine gave Elena a small smile as she turned the volume back on. Elena decided to join them on the couch. She looked over at Stefan who gave her a reassuring smile before going upstairs.

XXXX

Damon, Katherine and Stefan looked up from the table in the kitchen when Elena walked in. "Is he asleep?" Stefan asked.

Elena nodded as she slid into the seat next to Stefan. "Yeah, he was really tired" Elena told them. She looked around the table nervously, aware that they had been talking to one another while she was upstairs with Jeremy. "I have to find somewhere to take him while I am at work" Elena announced. Maybe a summer camp until school started. Then an after school program in the Fall when he started school. She couldn't give up working and put full responsibility on Stefan to support them. It wouldn't be fair.

"I can watch him during the day" Katherine offered.

Elena shook her head though. "I can't ask you to do that" she told her.

"You didn't ask" Katherine pointed out. "Besides, I'm here most of the time anyways while you all go to work. It'll be fine" she shrugged.

"I'll be as flexible with your schedule as you need, Elena" Damon told her. "Hey" he said, getting her attention as she focused on the tabletop. "We're all here for you. We'll make this work" he said, giving her a small smile.

Elena wasn't fast enough to catch the tear that escaped. But she quickly wiped away the trail it had left down her cheek. "This is the last thing I expected Jenna to do" Elena admitted sadly. "I really appreciate you guys willing to help."

Stefan wrapped his arm around her and kissed the side of her head. "That's what family does for one another" he said quietly.

"He's right" Damon agreed. "Our only priority right now is to make sure Jeremy is taken care of" he added.