Chapter 10

It was freezing the day she married Stefan. Although the sun was shining as they stood facing each other on the beach, the air was chilly with signs that Fall was already on its way.

Sunday, August 31st at 9:30 PM, just as the sun was sinking. The ocean breeze caught her white dress, swirling it around as she stood there with him, holding both of his hands and listening to the officiant talk about love and the future.

Elena barely heard a word the stranger was saying. She was too busy silently mouthing words to Stefan, and reading his lips when he said something back. The night he had proposed to her had left her with a whirlwind of emotions. But she didn't hesitate to say yes. Elena knew Stefan was one of the good guys that only came around every so often. He made her smile, and he made her believe that a future with him would be the fairytale she always dreamed she could have.

So a little over a month later, she had stood on that beach with him, professing her love and her promises to him.

Elena wore a simple white dress strapless dress that fell to the sand she was standing on. Her hair was left down in curls, and she wore the matching diamond earrings and necklace that Stefan had bought for her.

Stefan was dressed rather casually in black slacks and a dark blue button down shirt. His eyes never left hers, as he too was focused on the girl in front of him, rather than the stranger reading from a book.

Damon had stood silently behind Stefan, having been reluctant to show up in the first place. Elena knew Damon thought they were moving too fast, and he was worried about them being so young and knowing so little about each other. But Damon couldn't miss witnessing his little brother getting married.

Elena knew it meant the world to Stefan to have Damon there. She only wished she could have had Bonnie there with her too. She and Stefan had decided to get married right before their lives got hectic with work and school, and then later on, if they wanted, they could have a reception to celebrate.

Bonnie. Bonnie had been furious when Elena had told her of her plans to marry Stefan so soon. It had ended in tears for both she and Bonnie, with Bonnie begging Elena not to go through with it. "If he really loves you, he'll wait" Bonnie had said tearfully.

Elena hadn't wanted to wait though. She had many fears for her future, but being with Stefan wasn't one of them.

After they had been pronounced husband and wife, they kissed, sealing their love with an unspoken promise. That day, he had given her a life to look forward to, and she couldn't wait to start each day with him by her side.

It had been just over two years since she and Stefan had said "I do" on the beach, and it hadn't turned out to be the fairytale she had hoped it would be.

The first year and a half had been perfect though. Elena felt like she and Stefan hadn't changed much. She went to school and he went to work. They came home, ate dinner together and talked about their days. Sometimes they waited to have sex until it was time for bed, and other times, they jumped one another the moment they saw each other after a long day. And still other times, they felt quite content just holding each other and falling asleep.

Elena found herself wondering what had happened along the way. She would guess that it was about six months ago when she realized that something wasn't right. When things started to not feel right anymore. But she kept her concerns to herself, because Stefan didn't seem concerned and maybe she was just overreacting to her observations.

Lying there alone in the bed she shared with him gave her time to think about what was bothering her though. The large house Stefan had purchased for them was silent, giving her no distractions.