Chapter 60

The paper straw wrapper was being torn into shreds, piling up on the top of the table at the restaurant. It was an unconscious act, she thought.

"Stefan" Elena said quietly as she reached up and placed her hand over his, stilling his anxious fingers. His head turned to look at her and she could see the worry etched into his features. His eyes were tired and she knew he had not slept well the night before. He had tossed and turned, waking her occasionally as he did.

Stefan looked back down at his fingers and dropped the paper wrapper he had been shredding. "Sorry" he said, placing his hands in his lap. His mother was 15 minutes late, and every minute that ticked by caused him even more anxiety.

Elena leaned over and kissed his cheek. "We'll give her five more minutes" she said quietly, kissing his cheek one last time before looking back down at her menu.

"Hey" he said softly. He watched her turn her body slowly and look up at him again. "Thank you for being here" he told her. He was not sure that he could have come alone.

Elena smiled. "Of course" she said, wrapping her arm around his to hold.

"Do you think Damon was mad about letting us have a longer lunch today?" Stefan asked.

Elena shook her head no. "He's just a concerned big brother" Elena assured him. Katherine on the other hand had clearly stated her opinion on the matter before they left for work that morning. "Maybe we should cook dinner for them tonight" Elena suggested. "As a thank you for letting us live with them while we sort out the house situation" she added.

Stefan nodded. "We'll find a house" he assured her.

"I know we will" Elena said. She glanced at her watch, both relieved and disappointed that his mother had not shown. "Do you want to get out of here?" Elena asked. "Go and grab burgers?" she suggested. The restaurant Stefan had picked out to meet his mother was nice, but nothing beat the burgers down the street.

"Yeah" Stefan nodded, tossing some money on the table to pay for their drinks. He was not sure if he was relieved or disappointed either.

They stood up to leave when he looked up to see his mother coming in through the door.

"I'm so sorry" she apologized. "Traffic and then I couldn't find a place to park" she rambled. She paused for a breath. "You weren't leaving were you?" she asked.

When Stefan failed to answer, Elena spoke up. "We can stay for a little while" she said, rubbing Stefan's arm gently as she sat back down with him.

"I'm Viviane, by the way" his mother said, extending her hand for Elena to shake.

"I'm Elena" she said politely, taking his mother's hand. She watched as Viviane sat down across from them.

"Elena" his mother said, both testing the word and passively searching for more information on who Elena was.

"Elena's my wife" Stefan spoke for the first time since his mother arrived. Not on paper, but he hoped to change that soon.

"You're married" Viviane said quietly, almost as if she were sad to not have been a part of such an important milestone in her son's life. "Children?" she asked.

Elena shook her head no. "Not yet" she said, smiling as she squeezed Stefan's hand under the table and looked up at him. One day, maybe.

Viviane smiled. "You've got plenty of time" she said reassuringly. "You know, I remember when Stefan was born. Happiest day of my life" she admitted.

Elena felt Stefan tense next to her and she felt guilty for the fake smile she sported for his mother.

"What about Damon?" Stefan found himself asking. Shouldn't Damon's birth have been one of the happiest days of her life too?