Chapter 61

"Keep them closed!" Katherine demanded as she led Stefan from the front door and down the driveway.

"They are" Stefan said, growing increasingly worried as he relied on Katherine to navigate him safely. She told him she wanted to surprise him when he got home from work that evening. He had no idea what she wanted to show him. "Where are you taking me?" Stefan asked. He felt the pavement of the road under his flip flops and listened to make sure no cars were coming. Katherine tended to get distracted and he really did not want to get hit.

"We're almost there" Katherine promised as she crossed the street with him. Once they were safely on the other side, she removed her hands from him. "Surprise" she said, allowing him to open his eyes.

Stefan stared straight ahead at a bunch of tall grass and bushes. "Uh ... thank you?" he asked, not quite sure what to say to this surprise she was giving him.

She slapped his arm and rolled her eyes. "I tracked down the guy who owns this vacant lot" Katherine informed him. "It took some negotiating, but I was able to convince him to sell it for a fair price. Five acres" she explained.

Stefan stared out at the lot, starting to piece together what she was suggesting. "Katherine, this is an undeveloped lot" he told her.

"Yeah, I know. But you and Elena have been searching for a house for over a month now with no luck" she reminded. "Think about it. You could have your dream home built. Just the way Elena wants it" Katherine explained.

While it sounded like a nice idea, he had to be realistic. "That could take a year. Maybe more" Stefan said. A lot of work, too.

"So?" Katherine asked. "Rent until the house is built. Hell, stay with us" she said. "You would be right across the street from us" she mentioned.

"Which is why I'll have to decline" he told her, grinning just a little when she glared at him.

"You'd be right across the street from Jeremy" Katherine added.

Stefan turned and looked at the lot again. "That would be nice, especially for Elena" he admitted.

Katherine leaned into him and stared at the lot too. "I think this could be really great for you two. A new start" she told him.

Stefan stared at the lot for another minute before hugging Katherine. "Thank you" he told her, knowing that she went out of her way to help him find a solution to his home buying struggles. "I'll talk to Elena tonight" he promised. The more he thought about building a home, the more he hoped Elena would like the idea.

"You're welcome" Katherine said, walking with him back across the street to her house. "Don't let her say no" she told him.

Stefan chuckled. "I'll do my best" he agreed.

XXXX

"You start school tomorrow" Damon said, making good on his word to be home for dinner.

Jeremy grabbed a mouthful of spaghetti before nodding.

"You too" Damon said, smiling towards Elena. "You ready to go back?" he asked.

Elena sighed. "I think so" she admitted nervously.

"She's going to do great" Stefan said, grabbing her hand under the table. "You too, Jeremy" Stefan said, holding back a laugh at the five year old with spaghetti sauce all over his face.

"Well, I thought we would do something extra special for dessert tonight to celebrate" Katherine said, excusing herself from the table so she could go to the kitchen. She returned, carrying a two-layered chocolate cake she had made earlier that day.