Chapter 12

August 31st, 11:00 PM

It was late by the time they made it back to the apartment after the ceremony. Once the officiant had departed, the three of them had stayed back on the beach so Damon could get a few pictures of the new bride and groom. Elena had been thrilled to learn that photography had been a hobby of Damon's at one point. His pictures had turned out beautifully.

Elena wasn't disappointed that they would not be departing on a romantic honeymoon anytime soon. She was starting school and he was starting his new job. They did have a few dates in mind of when they might actually be able to get away together, but nothing was set in stone.

Despite them returning to the apartment after the ceremony so late, Elena knew that the evening was far from over. They didn't need to jet off to some romantic location in order to officially share their bed together as husband and wife. It was probably the one thing she had been nervous about all day. They hadn't even seen each other fully naked.

Elena hadn't been sure if Stefan was traditional in the sense that he had wanted to wait until marriage, but he never initiated sex with her. And if he had been waiting until he was married to her, well, he didn't have to wait long at all. It was a nice thought to think about, waiting until she was married. But Stefan wouldn't be her first and she wasn't sure if she needed to bring that up with him or not.

When they walked inside the apartment, Elena shrugged out of the little jacket she wore over her dress. Stefan took it from her and hung it up. She turned around to face him and played with her hands nervously. He looked somewhat nervous too, but she could tell he was looking forward to what was in store for the rest of the night.

"Can I have a minute?" Elena asked. She wanted to relax a little before they moved into the bedroom together. Their bedroom. She practically slept in there every night with him, but tonight would be different.

Stefan nodded his head, understanding completely. He felt guilty for bringing her back to their apartment on their wedding night. Maybe he should have booked them a nice hotel suite, but everything had been so last minute that he hadn't had time. He promised himself he would make it up to her. "Take your time" he told her, reaching out and grabbing her left hand.

She smiled when his thumb brushed over her ring. She wondered when she would get used to having that ring on her hand. "Five minutes" she told him, her hand slipping from his as she turned and walked away, her dress dragging across the floor now that she had kicked her heels off.

Stefan gave her the five minutes she had requested before he went to her.

Elena was standing in front of the mirror in their room, looking at herself. She looked lost in thought and he almost backed up out of the room quietly to give her some more time. But, she saw him. Her eyes caught his in the mirror and she smiled. "I need help with the zipper" she said.

Stefan walked to her, stopping behind her. He didn't unzip her right away, choosing to take a moment to take in her beauty. He knew she was beautiful, but there was something about her in a white dress that accentuated her beauty. Stefan was going to get to wake up to her beautiful face, knowing she had chosen him to spend her life with. "You look beautiful today" he said, reaching his hand up and grabbing the zipper. Elena smiled, blushed even. Stefan slowly pulled her zipper down, revealing more of her skin along the way.

Then he rested his hands on her shoulders, moving the straps of her dress off of her shoulders. The dress fell down and pooled at her feet, leaving her in just a silky white bra and panties. He had to clear his throat to compose himself. "Wow" he said, his eyes glued to her.