Chapter 13

Elena unlocked the front door, juggling two bags of groceries that she had picked up on her way home. It was late afternoon. She hadn't meant to be out that long, but she hadn't wanted to be home when Stefan got there. What was she supposed to say to him? Where were they supposed to go now?

The house was dark inside, except for a little light coming from his office. Elena went to the kitchen first, setting the two bags on the counter. She put the eggs and milk away, leaving the rest of the groceries on the counter to deal with later.

She passed through the living area, catching sight of their wedding photo taken on the beach. She stopped to study it. It was centered on a shelf Damon had built for them, becoming the focal point for anyone who walked into their home. Although you couldn't tell from the photo, Stefan's arms were wrapped around her waist, holding her close as they both smiled for the camera. Elena remembered it had taken several attempts to get a decent photo, because Stefan was too busy trying to kiss her. He couldn't wait two seconds for the photo to be taken, and it had thrilled Elena that he was so excited to be married to her. That moment had erased any doubt she might have had about marrying Stefan so soon. He was happy, and she was going to be happy with him.

With a long drawn out sigh, Elena continued on her way, keeping the mental image of their wedding day tucked in the back of her mind. When Elena reached his office, she stood in the doorway. Stefan looked up at her from where he was sitting. "Where the hell have you been?" he asked. His voice was low, cold and belonged to a man who had been drinking.

Her heart sank.

Elena surveyed his desk and found an empty bourbon bottle tipped over. Beside it stood a tall clear bottle, but she wasn't sure what it was. Stefan had a cabinet full of different liquors for when they had people over. "I needed to clear my head. And pick up a few things from the store" she explained. Her voice was shaky, a clear indicator that she was nervous. She did not like to be around him when he was drinking. He was a different person. One she did not want to get used to.

"Spending my money?" he asked callously.

It was a slap in the face for her, because money was such a sensitive issue. Stefan made all the money, paid all the bills. What money she did make working from Damon was hers, and Stefan never commented on that until now. "I had to get groceries" Elena said calmly, doing her best to keep from escalating the situation. Which is what he wanted. He loved a good fight when he was drinking. "Why don't you come upstairs and lay down" Elena suggested. It was best for him to just sleep it off when he got this way.

"Don't tell me what to do" said, his face scrunching up from disgust.

"Stefan, I'm not trying to ..." she began to say, only for Stefan to stand up quickly. He slapped the empty bourbon bottle off of his desk, sending it crashing to the floor. It shattered into tiny little pieces, much like her heart was doing.

"I don't need you, to tell me how to live my life!" he yelled at her. "I work my ass off to give you this life and all you do is judge me." In his drunken state, he looked utterly done with her.

To say she was hurt by his words was an understatement. Elena knew he was saying those things because he had been drinking, but that knowledge alone did not make her feel any better. She just did not want to fight with him. They never fought, until he started drinking. "I'm not judging you Stefan" she said, barely above a whisper. "It just scares me to see you like this. This isn't you, Stefan" Elena said, finally feeling the first tears run down her face. "You know I appreciate everything you do for me ... for us" she told him. She looked into his eyes, but he wasn't there.

"Stop crying. You look pathetic" he said after a moment, glaring at her like he couldn't stand the sight of her. Then he swiped his arm across his desk, sending more items scattering to the floor. He sat down, nearly missing the chair and catching himself on his desk to steady himself. "This house is costing me a fortune" he informed her.