Chapter 49

By day four, Elena noticed a big difference in Stefan. He was much more alert and the color had returned to his skin. He was holding much more in depth conversations and did not easily tire. These improvements may have seemed small, but for Elena, it meant that he was getting back to himself and that everything was going to be okay again.

Stefan was even up and walking around a few times a day per the doctor's orders. It was their routine to walk around the hospital floor together. He usually found some way to make her laugh and it reminded her of when they first started dating.

Damon's parents had gone back home, but promised to come see them all again when everything settled down. Elena wished she would have been able to spend more time with them, but given the circumstances, her main focus had been on Stefan while they were there.

Elena hadn't slept as much as she knew she needed to. Stefan's hospital bed was too uncomfortable and so was the cot they brought in for her.

"You should go back to Damon's and get some sleep" Stefan said, watching her stifle yet another yawn. It was only four in the afternoon, but she looked miserable and there was only so much more coffee she could drink before she crashed.

Elena shook her head no. "I'm fine" she insisted.

Stefan grabbed her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "No, you're not fine. You're exhausted. Have Damon drive you and stay there tonight so you can get a good night's rest" he told her. Elena opened her mouth to argue with him, but he cut her off. "Please, Elena?" he asked.

Elena frowned. "You don't want me here?" she asked. Sure, she was hovering. But it was only because she was so worried about him.

Stefan shook his head. "I'm really glad you're here" he said, offering her a small smile. "But I will rest much better knowing you're doing the same" Stefan added. Elena remained quiet, but Stefan could tell she wanted to tell him she didn't like his idea of her leaving. "I'll be fine. I have a lot of people looking after me here. And maybe if we're lucky, I can go home with you in another day or so" Stefan told her.

Elena liked that idea a lot. She had been impatiently waiting for the doctor to give them the good news that Stefan could go home. "Okay" she said, giving in. She wasn't sure she could sleep, but she would try. She knew she needed it.

"Hey" Stefan said, squeezing her hand again. "I can't wait to be able to go home with you" he told her with a smile.

Elena smiled this time too. "I can't wait either" she agreed.

"I love you, Elena" Stefan told her, bringing her hand up to his lips so he could kiss it.

Elena smiled again. "I love you too, Stefan" she said. Reluctantly, she stood and let go of his hand. "Get some rest" she told him. She leaned down and kissed him softly.

"You too" Stefan said. "I'll see you tomorrow." He watched Elena leave and felt himself sigh. He was so worried about her and yet, all she worried about was him.

XXXX

Stefan had been asleep on and off for the last couple of hours when he heard his hospital room door open. He figured it was another nurse coming to check in on him.

When he opened his eyes, he saw Bonnie barely standing inside of his room. "I'm ... I'm sorry to wake you" she said quietly. "And I know visiting hours are over, but I ... I just ..." she said, finding it difficult to find the words she wanted to say to him.

"Come in" Stefan said, doing his best to sit up a little in his bed. He winced and wondered how long it would be before his ribs stopped hurting.

Bonnie took small, cautious steps into his room, feeling extremely uncomfortable to be there. "I tried to visit a few times, but Elena was here and I know she wouldn't want to see me" Bonnie explained.