Chapter 36

He had stayed a little later at work than usual, dragging his feet in an attempt to not have to go home.

The entire day, all he could think about was Katherine and what she had told him. It was true. He had wanted kids more than anything. Raising Stefan had convinced him that there was no better feeling in the world than raising children. Katherine had said she wanted them too, but wanted to wait. Damon had been fine with that, because Stefan kept them pretty busy.

It would have been a hell of a lot easier to hear Katherine tell him that she couldn't have kids than to watch her walk out the door for good. He was still angry about that, but in light of what she had told him the night before, he really didn't feel like he could keep pushing her away. She had seemed genuinely upset. Katherine rarely showed that kind of emotion.

Katherine had come back and she had come clean about why she left. He just wasn't convinced that she would stick around very long. He hoped for Stefan's sake that she would, because he really looked up to her.

When seven rolled around, he decided he had better head home.

The kitchen light was on when he walked in, and something smelled amazing. He walked towards the kitchen, following the smell, and found her standing in front of the stove stirring something in a pan. "I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to come home" Katherine said, keeping her back to him as she focused on what she was cooking.

Damon leaned against the entryway and watched her for a moment. "I used to wonder the exact same thing for a long time" he countered. He could see her shoulders tense, but she made no other indication that his comment had affected her.

Katherine reached over the stove and turned it off. Then she bent down and retrieved something from the oven. Damon watched her every move, waiting for her say something related to what she had told him the night before.

"Dinner is ready" she said instead, dishing up two plates with whatever was on the baking sheet and in the pan. She set the two plates across from each other on the island, along with two glasses of wine. "Stefan told me you don't have alcohol here anymore" she said, holding up the bottle of wine she had bought and already started on.

Damon uncrossed his arms and moved away from the entrance. He wouldn't turn down a meal she had prepared for him. "He's been doing really well lately" Damon said, taking a seat. Katherine sat down across from him, her facial features giving nothing away. She was very good at hiding how she really felt. "It was pretty scary there for a while" he added, picking up his fork. Mediterranean chicken, vegetables and a loaf of warm bread that was made from scratch. He hated to admit that he missed her cooking.

Katherine picked up her wine glass and took another sip. "If that woman were to show up at your door right now, you'd probably have to stop me from killing her" she told him. She never had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting Damon and Stefan's mother, but she had heard enough about her to loathe her.

"You did an amazing job with Stefan" Damon said, staring into her eyes. "You had no obligation to him" he added.

Katherine looked at him, her eyes filled with curiosity and amusement. He was being nice to her, sincere even. What was the catch? "Small price to pay" she replied.

It was Damon's turn to look amused. "I didn't have a penny to my name when you met Stefan" he reminded. She hadn't been guaranteed anything, and yet she had stuck around to care for his little brother.

Katherine smirked slightly. "I wasn't talking about money" she countered. She had fallen hard when she first met Damon, and she hadn't cared that he was broke and trying to start up his own business, or that he had an 8 year old brother straight out of an abusive and neglectful past. She swore all of it made her love Damon even more.