Chapter 1

Charleston, South Carolina. Hands down, probably the most beautiful place he had ever lived. The salty ocean breeze made even the warmest day of the year bearable. Sure, there were hurricanes every now and then that kept you indoors, but overall, he enjoyed the rich history the city held, being one of the oldest in the state.

The College of Charleston had been a perfect fit for the past four years, offering him a beautiful, quiet campus to earn his degree in finance. He could not wait to put it to use.

"I'm really going to miss this place" Caroline said, snapping shut the plastic container that had housed her salad from lunch. She was looking around the campus, taking it in.

Stefan smiled at his friend, agreeing with her completely. He hadn't known anyone on campus four years ago, so making friends with such an outgoing social butterfly like Caroline had been necessary. "You're not leaving Charleston, are you?" Stefan asked, turning to look at her sitting next to him on the perfectly manicured lawn in front of the fountain.

Caroline shook her head. "I think I'll try and find a job and see what happens" she answered. "My dad lives here, so at least I'll have some family around" she added, taking out her chapstick and applying a fresh coat to her lips. He was planning on sticking around too, since he loved the city so much and his older brother lived there. It made the most sense for him. "Hey, thanks for volunteering this morning" she said, almost forgetting to thank him. "I wasn't expecting such a large group of interested high school seniors to show up today for campus tours."

Caroline Forbes. Volunteer coordinator for student affairs. Double majored in business and psychology. And minored in physics just for fun. Stefan didn't know how she managed to do it all. Caroline was all energy and no stop. She would be graduating with him in two weeks, top of her class. She truly was a world wonder. "No problem" Stefan told her. He hadn't really minded walking a group of high school seniors around all morning, answering questions and showing them the campus. If nothing else, he could add it to his resume. "Now I get to go and study for my Finance 418 final" he told her. The last final exam he would ever take as a student at The College of Charleston.

Caroline patted his shoulder before standing up. "You've got this" she told him. "You're like, the smartest guy I know when it comes to numbers."

Stefan laughed slightly as he stood up too. He was freakishly good with numbers. Always had been. A degree in finance fit him perfectly, and so would his new job as a financial analyst for a private firm he had interned with the past two summers. "Thanks, Caroline" he told her. "Good luck with the second group of high school students" he said, waving goodbye to her as he watched her jump into action and start directing volunteers nearly the instant she left him.

Stefan tossed his garbage away and was about ready to head for the library when he spotted her.

He took a long moment to study her. He noticed first her long, pin straight chocolate brown hair that fell to the middle of her back, and then her long tan legs that looked amazing in a pair of khaki Bermuda shorts paired with a navy blue button down shirt. She looked casual, yet professional. She also wore glasses with a small black frame which gave off an element of sophistication. She hugged a notepad against her chest as she stood amongst the group of high school students, waiting for the tour to begin.

Stefan's eyes couldn't stop staring. He was completely in awe of her. She carried herself with such maturity, and yet, there was this innocence about her as well. She stayed at the very back of the group, taking in everything around her.

She was absolutely beautiful.

Stefan's eyes never left sight of her as he walked to where Caroline was standing, directing a volunteer. "Hey, can I join another one of these groups and help out?" he asked.