Chapter 25

"So what do you think?" Stefan asked, standing beside his brother as they both looked at the inside of the beach house Stefan had just purchased. It had taken a few weeks, but Stefan had finally been given the key to his new home. He could not wait to get started on it.

Damon's opinion on Stefan's decision to buy that house meant more to Stefan than he cared to admit. But Damon was his best friend and his only support at the moment.

"It needs a lot of work" Damon answered. Then he turned to Stefan. "But I like it" he said, smiling at his brother.

Stefan let out a breath he had been holding. "I like it too" Stefan agreed.

Damon grabbed Stefan's shoulder and pulled him closer. "I think this will be good for you" Damon told him. If anyone knew about building or fixing houses to take your mind off of a girl, it was Damon. "And I'm here to help. Whatever you need, Stefan. I mean it" he reassured him.

"Thanks Damon" Stefan replied. He knew he would definitely take Damon up on his offer to help. Stefan could do the easy stuff. He would leave the more complicated things for his brother. "Any suggestions on where to start?" he asked.

Damon nodded, surveying the room again. "I'd start by tearing this old carpet up and seeing what you have underneath" Damon suggested.

"Okay" Stefan said. That was easy enough. Or so he thought.

"Do you have time for lunch first?" Damon asked.

Stefan reluctantly shook his head no. "I have my appointment with Dr. Erickson today" he answered. Stefan looked at his watch. "I actually need to get going soon." He really was not looking forward to this particular appointment because he was going to have to talk about what happened with Elena and then what also happened on the beach after. He was afraid to tell Dr. Erickson about the alcohol for fear of disappointing him. Hell, he had disappointed himself. But Stefan made a promise to himself that he would make his weekly appointments.

"Yeah, okay" Damon said. He was extremely proud of his brother for continuing the therapy. Damon had faith in his little brother, because he knew Stefan had a good heart. He was trying. "You owe me lunch, though" Damon said, messing up Stefan's hair before Stefan had time to shove his brother away. He made his brother laugh though, and no matter how old Stefan got, Damon would still make sure he knew he was younger.

"I'm going to owe you a lot more than lunch by the time we get this place finished" Stefan smiled.

"Very true" Damon laughed. "I'll see you later" he said, letting himself out of Stefan's new house.

Stefan heard the front door shut, signaling that his brother was gone. Stefan stood alone in his house and looked around. Every square foot of space was calling out to him, telling him everything he had to do. "Holy shit" he said, crossing his arms and blowing out a breath. He might have been in over his head.

XXXX

"How was your week?" Dr. Erickson asked as he and Stefan took their seats. He had his usual warm smile and his pen and notepad.

Stefan took a big breath. "To be honest, it wasn't great" Stefan admitted. Well, not everything about it was great.

"Let's talk about what wasn't so great" Dr. Erickson said, crossing his legs at his ankles and giving Stefan his full attention.

Stefan sighed. He hated the thought of being judged. "Elena and I sort of had a fight" he said.

"I see" Dr. Erickson said. "Tell me about your feelings during and after this fight you had" he told Stefan.

Stefan paused, caught off guard by the request. Stefan was fully prepared to describe the fight, not his feelings about it. "Well" Stefan said, thinking it over.