Chapter Two: A Family

Chapter Two

            Now I am at the hospital where I volunteer, I am currently sitting in a recliner in Lila’s room; I have my hair pulled back in a pony tail and am wearing some blue scrubs. Lila is asleep, her brown eyes shut softly and a red bandana around her bald head. Her skin is extremely pale and she looks so sad when she sleeps, it makes my heart ache.

            Sighing out a breath, I slowly rise up and brush the back of my hand softly over Lila’s cheek, before weakly smiling down at her and walking out of the room to get back to work. As I walk down the hospital hall I cannot help but, look through the glass windows at all these poor people, each with a unique story. A reason I love to help out here is it keeps me from feeling sorry for myself because there is always someone out there who has it worse than I do.

            Continuing past the rooms I enter the waiting room in the ER surgery area, because I am looking for my boss, May. I stop, however, when I see a woman in her late thirties with light blonde hair, baby blue eyes, and stunning looks sitting in a chair crying. Across from her in a corner is a boy, who looks to be 21, his hair is dirty blonde and has chilling green eyes that hold sadness in them. He has his arms around a curly blonde haired girl, who is crying. She looks to be a year younger than me or two, so about 16 or 17. Then, there is a man pacing across the waiting room with a worried tired look on his face. He is in his forties and has dark brown hair and green eyes. A small girl about six is in his arms, her legs squeezing tightly around his waist and arms around his neck, her little head on his shoulder and her brown hair falling down her back. As the man turns sideways I see her tear soaked face and cloudy blue eyes. I want to walk past them but, something is pulling me to them.

            Is it because I have been where they are? Or is it my crazy need to help people? Either way I decide to make my way towards the crying women and sit beside her. She does not seem to notice me and as I take in her appearance my heart aches for this poor woman.

            “Hi, are you ok?” I say softly and I know of course she isn’t okay but I still had to ask. I had nothing else to say. I’m a complete stranger for Pete’s sake!

            “Um, not really,” she says in a crackly sweet voice and looks up at me with so much pain in her eyes.

            Reaching over I rest my hand on hers. “What happened?” I ask her softly and she squeezes my hand and releases a sob.

            “My son was shot today and is having sugary right now in hopes of saving him because they are not sure if he will live,” she cries as she holds my hand. “My….baby,” she sobs and I use the hand that she is not holding and rub her back.

            “I am so sorry,” I say as I try sooth her. “I’m sure that it’ll all be ok,” I softly say trying to calm her.

            “Thank you,” she chokes as she seems to calm some, but honestly I think she is just out of tears. “What is your name?” she asks me trying to distract herself I guess.

            “I’m Payton Jennings,” I say giving her a weak smile to let her know that I am here for her.

            “Do you have family here?” the sad woman asks and I look away for a moment thinking.

            “Sort of, but I volunteer here too,” I reply sort of dodging her question. “Do you have any other family here?” I ask her softly hoping to take her mind off things.

            “Oh, yes,” she says sniffling. “That man is my husband Leonardo, and that little girl in his arms is Rayne. Then, over in the corner is my other son and daughter, Conner and Juliet,” she tells me as she looks around at them and she cries a little bit more.

            “Tell me about them,” I tell her seeing as it will distract her.

            She gives me a sad smile and sighs. “Well Rayne is our miracle child; after I had Juliet the doctor said I couldn’t have any more children. Then, ten years later Rayne came into the world and was a blessing for all of us. She’s the sweetest most amazing little girl I know. Then, you have Juliet, she’s quiet and shy around people she doesn’t know, but with her family she’s outspoken and can be a brat. Then, there’s Conner he is in college and is really out going, wants to be a doctor which is so amazing. Now I just wish he would settle down. Then you have my son that got shot,” her voice cracks as she brings him up. “Since the day that boy could talk he was all up in everyone’s business trying solve problems or he was talking about sports. He has always been caring and has the power to lift anyone’s spirits. He actually volunteers at the shelter,” she says and her voice is thick, the whole time she talks about him. “I hope he’ll be okay!” she cries and squeezes my hand.

            “Everything will be ok,” I say as I rub circles on her back.

            We sit in a silence with her soft sobs and my mind turning on ways to help. A doctor comes into the waiting room with a nurse by his side. “The Collins?” he asks and the woman’s head shoots up as does the rest of her family’s. She stands weakly. I slowly rise up beside her in shock.

            “It was nice meeting you, but I have to get back to work,” I say to her smiling softly.

            “It was lovely meeting you Payton. Thank you so much for helping me. You are an incredible young woman,” she says to me and pulls me into a warm embrace. “Please stop by and visit me,” she says giving me a weak smile then turns to her husband and kids walking to the doctor.

            My heart is thumping against my chest. I just met Reece’s mom, held her hand and helped her while she was sad. I really hope he’s ok; I don’t want his mom to lose him. She seems amazing. Please, let him live. I silently beg and take a deep breath getting back to work.