Chapter Six: I was There

Chapter Six

Payton’s POV         

            “Payton what happened again?” Georgia asks as she stands in front of me, outside of his room. I gave her a call explaining everything, she then rushed down here and now here we are.

            “I was talking to him then his mouth moved! So I ran to get a nurse. We came back and he was waking up. He was in so much pain, though, so they had to knock him out. He should re-wake soon,” I tell her once again and tears fall down her cheeks.

            “Thank you so much!” she says as she hugs me.

            “Not a problem,” I say smiling.

            I hear feet coming towards us and I look over her shoulder to see her husband Leonardo walking up behind her, he wraps his arms around her waist with a sad face. “Is he okay?” he asks his wife and she nods as she uses the back her hand to wipe her tears away and then smiles.

            “Honey, this is Payton. The nice girl a told you about,” Georgia says looking at me proudly and winks.

            He looks up at me with his green eyes. “Hello, pleasure to finally meet you. I’m Leonardo, but you can call me Leo,” he says as he nods to me and I smile.

            “You too,” I say politely and smile at him. “I better get back to work,” I tell Georgia with a smile.

            “Alright dear. Come back or I will hunt you down again!” she says with a teasing smile and I laugh nodding.

            “Yes, ma’am, I will be back tomorrow morning,” I say with a smile and she nods. I turn around and walk back to the elevator and walk back to Ms. Rose’s room.

            “Ahh and she returns,” she says as I walk in and sit in the chair beside her laughing.

            “I do,” I say as I look up at her TV to see the news on. A picture of Reece pops up so I know what it’s talking about since Rose has the volume off.

            “Payton, why didn’t you tell me about this?” she asks taking on her grandma persona.

            “I did not see a point in worrying you when I am fine. I’m alive, I’m fine,” I say rolling my eyes.

            “Did you see it?” she asks bluntly and I look away from her prying eyes down at the end of the bed.

            “Yeah,” I mumble not making eye contact.

            “What? I am an old woman Payton you have to speak up,” she says as she reaches down to her remote and pulls her bed up so that she is sitting.

            “Yes, I was there,” I say a little bit annoyed with having repeat it.

            “Oh dear! You must be so traumatized!” Ms. Rose says with sad eyes.

            “No, I’m fine I didn’t know the boy and I didn’t see a lot,” I lie and slowly look back at her sad eyes.

            “Payton, it could’ve been you, you seen someone get shot,” she says with sad eyes.

            “I know,” I say softly looking down at my hand folded in my lap. “But it wasn’t,” I say biting my lip to hold back my tears.

            I haven’t spoken with anyone about this and it’s kind of hard to.

            “I’m glad for that,” she says and I look up to see a small smile appear on her face.

            “Me too,” I say and then I feel my phone buzz and I pull it out. It shows a text from my mom.

Mom: I am outside the hospital.

            Shoving it back into my pocket I smile and stand up. “See ya Ms. Rose I will be back in the morning,” I tell her as I walk to the door and smile.

            “Alright dear, take care of yourself,” she says smiling. I nod and leave.

*^*^*^*^*^*

            I slip on my shorts and tank top then drop onto my small bed and curl up into my covers. I shut my eyes and try to fall asleep.

            I see the shining pistol pointing at Reece and watch as Erwin’s finger pulls back on the trigger.  Reece falls to the ground and blood is everywhere. Tears stream down my face as I fall to the ground shaking.

            “No!” I scream as the bangs continue to echo around the hall.

            “Payton! Payton! Wake up!” my mom’s frantic voice says as she shakes me. “You’re ok,” she says as I open my eyes and look at her face full of worry.

            “Mom I saw it,” I cry and she wraps me into her warm embrace and I sob on her shoulder. Why does this bother me so much?