Chapter Twenty-Seven: Are We There Yet

Reece’s POV

            “Conner! Give it back now!” a girly voice I shouts loudly and I open my eyes to the darkness that I am beginning to get use to. I stretch slightly and feel a soft hand on my chest. I move my arms slightly feeling that I have something warm and amazing smelling in my arms, Payton.

            “Never!” Conner shouts as I hear loud footsteps run across the floor above me.

            I wonder if Payton is asleep. Well I don’t see how she could still be asleep. They are being so loud! Listening to her breathing it sounds a little too fast for her to be asleep.

            “Are you awake?” I whisper lightly, as I listen to Conner and Juliet continues to fight.

            “Conner I warn you, if you do not give it back I will cut you balls off in your sleep!” Juliet says quite loudly and to be honest if I was Conner I’d give up now.

            Payton moves a little in my arms. “Yeah, it’s kind of hard to sleep,” she laughs lightly.

            “I apologize once again for my family,” I say softly. My family can be very, embarrassing at times.

            “Don’t be, they are very entertaining,” she laughs again and I smile. Her laugh is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.

            “Want some breakfast?” I ask figuring my mom’s probably up making it.

            “Sure,” Payton says and I feel her moving and sitting up. Slowly I sit up to and swing my legs off of the side of the bed.

            “Do you see my cane anywhere?” I ask not remembering where I left it. The den I think?

            “Um…” Payton says and I feel her weight leaving the bed meaning she is standing up. “Yeah there it is! Someone must have brought it back in here,” she says as I hear her walking across my room.

            “Can you bring it to me, please?” I ask her as I stay seated on my bed.

            “Sure,” she says kindly and I hear her footsteps near me. “Here,” she says and I reach out my hand and she places my guide stick in my hand. “What time is your friend picking us up?” she then asks me.

            “Well what time is it now?” I ask wondering how long we have.

            “It’s… um…9:00 am,” she says and walks a little.

            “Ok he’ll be here at 12 so we should eat and then get ready,” I tell her as I stand up with my cane.