Chapter Fifty-Four: The Odds

Chapter Fifty-Four

Reece’s POV

            It feels like the time is moving in slow motion as I sit on this stupid hospital bed waiting for this doctor to returning from looking at my MRI and tell if I will ever be able to see again. My mom is right by my side clinging to my hand. The doctors need to hurry up, I cannot stand the suspense.

            “Reece,” my mom’s voice breaks me from my agonizing thoughts.

            “Yeah?” I ask knowing my hand is a little shaky and very sweaty. I am so freaking nervous and I am also so very anxious!

            “Can you answer a question for your dear mom?” she asks me and I can hear a little concern in her voice.

            “Sure mom,” I reply shrugging my shoulders.

            “How come you didn’t tell Payton about today?” she asks me after a few moments of silence.

            “Because I didn’t want to get her hopes up and all,” I say and for some reason a part of me felt like there is more to it and I just don’t know what. “How did you know I didn’t tell her?” I ask shocked at how my mom knew this. She is my mom however and I swear that she knows everything. Maybe she’s a spy…

            “It’s simple. For one if she had known she would be here right by your side. Second is that she tried calling and texting you worried out of her mind that you may be dead and calls me. I told her you were at the doctors. I don’t think you should be lying to her,” my mom says seeming so sure of herself.

            Suddenly, ending our conversation, I hear the door open and footsteps enter the room. My mom’s hand squeezes tightly onto mine.

“Hello Reece and Mrs. Collins. I am Doctor Martin, a leading specialist and surgeon dealing with the brain,” he introduces himself and I can feel the shift in my mom’s body so I am guessing they shock hands.

“Hello sir,” I say politely hoping not to sound rude.

“Can you tell the news?” my mom is to the point I fear she may beg.

Doctor Martin clears his throat. “Reece,” he begins with a genital tone. “When you were shot the bullet did cause some of the optic artery. After that the bullet pretty much severely injured your occipital lobe. There is a small chance we can fix it and we may not be able to fix it. We won’t know for sure until we get inside. If you chose this surgery you need to be aware of what is going to be your odds. There is a 40% chance that you will be able to survive it. There is a 30% chance you will get to see again. You may be able to see lights or shadows or anything like that,” the doctor says to me and his voice is dripping with sadness. “The choice is yours Reece and we will do the best we can to make sure you are in the lucky percent,” the doctor finishes with a sigh.

I could die. I may not be able to see.

“Thank you Doctor Martin,” my mom says but I am speechless I don’t know what to say.

“Think about it and let me know within the next couple days,” the doctor finally says and I hear his feet walking another direction.

I just nod my head really not knowing what to say. I cannot help but think. Death. I could die. I may not be able to see again.

“Honey I am leaving this decisions all up to you,” my mom says simply to me. As she helps me get up and leave the room while everything is mixing up inside my head.

What if I go through with it and can’t see? What if I miss the chance of seeing again? What if I don’t wake up? What if Payton leaves me? What if I can run track again? What if I can’t? What do I do? What choice will I have?

I need some advice and don’t want to go to Payton because I am scared. But I need rid of theses what if’s. Finally as I sit in the car we head home. I know just who to call. One person who can help me and give me advice. This will help me with my choice.

Thank you all so much for all of your support!!!

Next chapter is where the real fun begins!!!:)

I love you all so very much!!!

Please please vote!!

All of your support makes a difference!!!!

Please

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE!

Update tomorrow!!

Thank you all so very much!! I love you all!!:D