Chapter Three: Georgia Collins

Chapter Three

            My eyes flutter open the next morning and I roll over landing on the hard floor. Groaning I sit up, rub my swollen eyes looking around my room and knocking some papers away from my side. I don’t want get up! I think to myself, but stand up and make my way to my closet grabbing some jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt. Dragging myself to my bathroom I stare in the mirror, did yesterday really happen? It feels like a nightmare then, looking in the mirror at my crazy hair that I quickly brush; I know it’s no dream, if it had been I’d be a little less ugly. I cannot believe it happened. Someone opened fire at my school. That only happens in movies and TV shows it never seems like it can happen here in my town. And Reece, God I hope he is okay! His mom is to amazing to lose her child. When someone kills someone, do they realize that they are killing someone’s son or daughter or loved ones? And when you kill someone you aren’t hurting them because once they die, they’re gone they won’t know the idiot who killed them, but there family does and that’s who gets hurt. So they might as well realize there plan is stupid and killing people is uncalled for unless you’re killing a killer or in war.

            Once I finish in the bathroom, I go back to my room slipping on my shoes and throwing my bag over my shoulder. I can do this, I tell myself taking a deep breath and ascending the stairs. I hear a TV playing the news channel, which is all that we get and I go into the living room seeing my mom seated on the small couch staring at the television. Pictures from yesterday flash on the screen and then some of Reece.

            “Yesterday a young man brought a gun to his school and took target on our town’s all American boy, the track star, base-ball star, and quarterback, Reece Collins. The only reason that can be decided on at this time for why this happened is that the boy was jealous. Reece was shot and barely made it through the night and is now at the hospital in critical condition. Washington High will not be having classes until Monday and any students that need to talk about this traumatic event can speak to the consular. Once the police had arrived the gunman then turned the gun on himself, killing himself…” the news man is cut off by my mother as she turns and sees me.

            “Oh honey!” she silently sobs as she stand on her feet and pulls me into a bone crushing hug.

            “Mom,” I say softly as I hug her back.

            “I ‘m so happy you are okay. I cannot lose you. No, I cannot lose another child… well almost,” she mutters and at that I cannot help but release the tears I have been holding back, especially not in her warm, motherly embrace. It hurts to know that she is close to losing a child and I’m close to losing a sister. It kills me all the time.

            “I know mom, I’m okay though,” I say softly and hugging her closely. Is this how Reece’s mom, dad and family feel?

            “How are you handling this, though?” she asks as she pulls away to look into my eyes.

            “I’m ok but, I didn’t know him,” I say honestly.