Chapter Fifty-Three: The Lie

Chapter Fifty-Three

Reece’s POV

            I plug my headphone in my ears attempting to tone out the constant tapping of my mother’s heel on the hard floor. We have been at the hospital filling out paperwork for a while. My nerves are on a slow rise and are soon to over flow.

            What if he tells me the damage is un-repairable? Will I ever be normal again? Will I ever see the sun? Will I ever see my angel? My mom? My sisters’ weddings?

            Thoughts like theses are everywhere in my mind. It’s like an annoying song on replay. I just want it to be over with and to know the answer. Will I see again or not? I feel something knock my arm and I open my eyes, seeing nothing, and remove my headphones.

            “What?” I ask my mom, who I am guessing who is the person who bumped me.

            “The nurse is ready to take you back,” my mom says and I nod standing up. I hear her stand also and the loop her arm through mine leading me. We walk straight until my mom stops me.

            “Reece, hello, I’m Mary your prepping nurse for the MRI,” a kind-hearted female voice says sounding to be a middle aged woman.

            “Nice to meet you,” I say trying to be polite.

            “You too, now come with me. You can come too,” Mary the nurse says to my mom and I feel my mom’s body relax as she walks me.

            “Once you change into this hospital gown we can start the testing,” the nurse tells me and I hear us enter a room. “This will be your room and you can change in here. Just come have your mom fetch me once you are done,” she adds and I nod my head. My stomach is doing nervous summersaults.  I listen and hear the door shut closed.

            “Here sweetie,” my mom says as she releases me and places some kind of fabric into my hands. “The hospital gown,” she says simply explaining why I was so confused.

            “Oh ok,” I say as I continue to still be very nervous. I pull off my t-shirt revealing my bare chest that I feel like is lacking a little bit. Then, I undo my pants taking them off next, leaving me in just my boxers. “Can I at least wear them?” I ask my mom pointing down at my bottoms.

            “I don’t know why you couldn’t, so I guess,” she says and I sigh out in relief. Feeling with my hands I attempt to turn around the object within my hands. Finally I am able to pull it onto my arms.

            “Can you tie the back?” I ask my mom as I turn around my back, hopefully to where she is.

            “Of course,” she says in her kind motherly tone as her hands tie the back and her cook fingers brush my back.