Chapter Forty-Eight: Hi Cutie

Chapter Forty-Eight

Payton’s POV

            The phone slips from my hand and crashes onto the roof. My heart stops and I cannot think. I cannot move. I cannot function at all. My body is frozen in place. I feel like everything thing has changed. Hope burns bright inside of me and I cannot believe it. I have waited for so long and to be honest I was starting to lose hope in her waking. But she did! She is! Why am I just standing here? I ask myself.

            “Payton! What’s wrong?” Reece’s panic filled voice says and I look up at his moving figure through my tear clouded eyes.

            “It’s Lila,” I say with a smile allowing a few tears to skate down my cheeks. I am so very happy that I cannot believe it.

            “Is she okay? Please tell me she’s okay?” Reece says seeming really worried. I wonder why he is so worried is it for I will be ok.

            “She’s awake,” I say still in surprise, because I was honestly not expecting this.

            “What?! That’s great Payton! What are we still doing here?” he says really in a upbeat tone and I watch as he gets closer to me.

            “How will we get there?” I ask in confusion as my brain finally starts working. Rider brings him to me and he reaches out finding my hand.

            “I had Conner drop my car off her so Carter didn’t have to stay. I thought you could drive it. So let’s go,” he says in his caring tone and I nod.

            “Thank you so much!” I say happily as I take his hand not on Rider’s harness and lead him to the elevator. My being shocked quickly turns into excitement. I am so excited and nervous that I cannot sit still. We make our way out to his sports car and all cram inside. I start the car revving the engine.

             All my mind thinks about as I speed down the road on my way to the hospital, for sure breaking tons of speeding laws, is Lila. I want get there in time! Finally I will get to see her sparkling eyes shining up at me. I get to see life return to her lifeless body! With that thought I speed up, it’s a good thing that Reece can’t see he may have been flipping out if he seen how fast I was driving his car. At this moment, however, I could care less.

            Before I know it I am at the hospital dragging Reece and Rider inside with me. May looks up from her spot behind the desk and is stunned for a moment and quickly recovers. I really am not paying attention to anything as I make it to the doors beside the desk. She appears in front of me and the door and gives me a light happy smile.

            “Come on, Payton,” she says leading me through the doors. Reece and Rider come ago, mainly because I refuse to release his hand. His hand is the only thing keeping me from floating away in excitement and joy.

            She leads us through the halls and Lila’s room. “She’s inside. Your mom is on her way. You can go ahead in,” May tells me as she places her hand lightly on my shoulder.

            “May,” I choke out holding back my tears of joy. She raises an eyebrow to me as if to ask what. “How did she wake up?” I ask wanting, no, needing to know the answer.

            “Sometimes Payton people just wake up. Sometimes it’s after years, others days. Something in there brain and body just changes and switches on. These are the miracles of life. She is extremely weak and there are no promises of the future, if she survives, but right now she has woken up and seems ok besides worn out,” May says to me with a gentle voice and Reece squeezes my hand.