Chapter Thirty-One: Everything is Different

Chapter Thirty-One

Reece’s POV

            What did I agree to? All I know is I would do anything for her to go on a date with me. So when she stated the condition I dint really think about it, instead I just answered. Now I have to go back to school and an aching fear creeps up on me. The thought of returning to school and walking in the halls again makes me sick with fear. Within a month my life has change dramatically I went from being someone who was going places and anything was possible to being the blind kid who was going nowhere and everyone walks on their tiptoes around me. So do I really want to return to school and have everyone stare at me and treat me like a freak? Of course I don’t! The thought of those who use to admire me, shunning me and treating me like a freak or like I am special kills me! Being blind changes everything and changes how everyone looks at me, even my family.

            Believe it or not my family is not usually this happy and perfect! Before the accident my family loved each other, but we fought. We would yell at each other call names and it I broke a rule or disobeyed my parents I would be grounded and in a lot of trouble. If I spoke to my parents like I did today I would have been grounded until I was married and have so many chores to do that a maid would feel bad for me. My parents were very cool, happy, loving people and they only want respect, honesty, and responsibility from their children. This means if we broke any the rules which weren’t many we would get a lecture and punishment.

            My parents even had their own good cop bad cop routine. My mom was the one who would supple endless love and cause you to feel bad for hurting her. My father on the other hand, was the iron fist. He laid down the law and punishment and would not budge a inch, don’t get me wrong my dad was a wonderful loving dude. He enjoyed doing things with his sons and his daughters where daddy girls. My dad is the one who taught me how through a football, play baseball, and Conner, dad, and I use to pile into the den on game nights and watch football games.

            I was the good son, compared to Conner; Conner was the wild child party boy, always getting in trouble. I, on the other hand, was more calm and the good kid, granted I got in my fair share of trouble just like anyone else but I learned from my mistakes.

            Now, we don’t fight and it’s like living in rainbow land twenty-four seven which fucking sucks! It’s all happy voices and laughter, with saying things like ‘it’s ok.’ I want to shout at them to stop! I want my real family back, yeah we argued but, it didn’t seem so fake! I feel like no one is saying what they want because they are afraid of offending me or something. They are treating me like that precious plate your grandma has that was pasted down from generation to generation. Maybe they think if they’re happy I will be. In all honesty, it’s backfiring! I just want forget I am blind and pretend it never happened!

 I want open my eyes one morning and see the shining light of the sun peeking through my window. I just want to stare into Payton’s eyes and kiss her. I want to watch Rayne grow up and I want see Juliet go to prom! I want to see! I need to! How will I get a job? How will I live on my own? Who would marry me? All of these questions haunt me at night as I shut my eyes, just like tonight.