Chapter Thirty: The Moment

Chapter Thirty

Payton’s POV

            On the way back to Reece’s house, Rider and I ride in the back seat of the car. Ever since we left the Guide Dog place Reece has been acting funny. I have no clue why he seems… nervous. I wonder why?

            The car jerks to a stop and I look out the window to see Reece’s house in front of us. Rider leans over against me panting heavily. 

            “Well guys, I must go. See you later!” Carter says.

            “Alright, bye man thanks,” Reece says as he runs his hands along the door before grabbing the handle and opening it. He shuts the door behind him.

            “Bye, Carter. It was nice meeting you,” I tell him as I grab the door handle.

            Carter turns and looks at me with a large smile. “Goodbye Payton, it was great meeting you too,” he says to me and I smile back as I open the door.

            I reach out and grab Rider’s harness handle so he can jump out. I shut the door behind us and walk up to Reece’s side. He is standing stiffly by the front of the car. Once I get to his side I reach out and take his right hand placing it lightly onto the handle.

            “Here,” I say smiling up at him as Reece smiles down at Rider and then his face rises to look up in my direction. I stare into his blue eyes, but not for long or else I get lost.

            “Thanks,” he says and I smile.

            “No problem, let’s go,” I say with a smile and walk towards the front door trusting Rider to lead Reece.

            I reach the door and turn around looking behind me. I see Rider leading Reece up the pathway very well. It truly impresses me and I smile. I stare at Reece’s shining eyes and a small smiling pulling up o his lips. They reach the steps and I take a deep breath holding it. I really want to call out and warn him, but I want see how him and Rider do.

            Rider stops him and then Reece takes a steady step forward landing his foot on the step. It’s like somehow Rider told him there were steps. Rider guides Reece slowly up the steps. Once Rider finally stands on the porch he smiles brightly. Rider walks to me and sits down and I smile down at him. It is so crazy how far Reece has come! He is truly amazing. I just wish he’d come back to school. I feel like that’s his fear and he is never going to be able to fully grip everything unless he returns and faces his fear.

            Its official my new goal is to get Reece back in school…whatever it takes! I have found myself really starting to crush on him and I cannot help it. It’s like there is something pulling me to him. Haft the time I forget he’s blind; I just want to help him and be there for him as a friend or more. So today I am going to start my new mission. Mission: get Reece back in school!