67

' Sorry to interrupt but we need to ask your wife a few questions.'

The detective investigating her poisoning walked in with a policewoman and sat down next to her bed. Axel took another chair and sat on the other side of the bed holding her hand.

' Do you remember what happened on the day you were poisoned?'

' I remember meeting up with my friends for lunch and leaving after with a fruit salad. I got home argued with my cousin. My husband then took her to the bus station. He returned an hour later and we had the salad. That's all I can recall.'

' How sure are you ma'am that your cousin got on that bus?'

' I'm not but I am sure that my husband dropped her off at the bus station and got her a greyhound bus ticket.'

' How is your marriage?'

Ayanda looked at them surprised at the question. Did they think that she was seeking attention from her husband or did they think that he did it.

' My marriage is perfect at the moment. It was not always that way but we are doing better. Like any other couple we have had our share of issues but nothing we could not work through.'

' Are you aware that your husband has a life policy on you and your children?'

' Yes and so do I. Wait, you think Axel had something to do with this?'

' Well we're still investigating these claims but your cousin and Brittany claim that it was all his idea to have you killed.'

' You cannot seriously believe that. What would his motive be?'

' That's what we're trying to investigate.'

' You got the two women who tried to kill me in custody and instead of doing your work, you're trying to pin this in my husband. I'm sorry sir but as much as I get on his nerves, he would never kill me.'

' Well we're still going to investigate. You might think he has no motive but you can be surprised how little a person can kill another for. Anyway thank you for your time. We will return if we have any more questions.'

The detective thanked Axel as well before heading out.

' What do you know about Brittany's involvement in this.'

' Apparently she gave Summer the cocoa powder used in the salad. The plan was to use the powder to poison you while Summer was still living with us and when you were taken to hospital, she would make her move on me but then Summer added the cinnamon and vanilla extract to make it undetectable. '

' How do you know all of this?'

' They played me their confession tapes when they called me in to answer a few questions.'

' So they said you came up with this plan?'

' Yeah that's what Summer told Brittany and what they both told the police.'

' but did you do it?'

Axel felt insulted that she would ask him that question but the smile on her face told him she was just teasing him. The doctor walked into the room and cleared his throat as they were kissing. She hid her face in her hands while Axe greeted the doctor.