60

In an attempt to impress her, Axel borrowed his brother's red Ferrari and drove to her house. It was his first time since they started dating four months ago that he was going to meet with her parents and to say he was nervous was an understatement. He was sweating bullets and feared by the time he actually got to meet her parents and take her out he would be funky.

' Are you lost?'

Shit he thought when a man he assumed to be her father opened the door after his third knock. He had never been intimidated by a guy a bit shorter than him before that he found himself speechless.

' Evening sir, I am here to see, I mean pick up your daughter.'

' Young man as skinny as you are, you think you can pick up my daughter? Which one at that?'

' Ayanda sir and I mean I'm here to_ I am her date.'

' Date for what?!'

He prayed she would show up or one of her sister's show up and release him from this interrogation.

' Infarct how old are you son to think you can take out my second daughter?'

' I am twenty-'

' Joe what are you doing standing out here? Oh you must be Axel.'

He played along even though he had met her mother outside of their home before.

' Axel?. What kind of a name is Axel?!'

' Axel actually means father of peace sir.'

' Oh I've got a piece.'

' Joseph! Sorry for my husband's behaviour. How can you let the poor boy stand out here for long. Aya asked you not to interrogate him.'

Axel lifted his head from his wife's hospital bed when he felt somebody lightly shake and wake him up from his sleep.

' Pops,mma, when did you get here?'

' We just got in son. Your parents left to pick up the kids and take them to school. They said they'll come over later.'

' Has the doctor come to speak to you since yesterday?'

Ayanda's mom questioned with sparkly eyes. He felt bad that they had to come over during such a time. He had called them last night to let them know what the doctor had told, well what he could remember.

' He came at around six and said he would be back to hand over to a different doctor as he would be done with his shift soon.'

' Oh babygirl. How did she get cinnamon and cocoa into her food? Ever since she was old enough to understand her condition, she made sure to br careful about what she ingests or applies.'

' I truly do not understand myself mma but I suspect the fruit salad she brought home has something in it because she reacted immediately after that.'

' Have you spoken to the kids?'

His father inlaw questioned him. Even though later in their relationship, he had accepted that his baby girl was married Axel, he still had days where he reminded him that he will protect his second daughter and now her children.