Extra: How to be a ninja - Daro

Here's a little extra about Daro's background before he became part of team Taryn. I hope you enjoy :)

---

“Daro, is that you?” Kanna Kamori peeked around the door of the pottery into the hallway.

“Yeah,” Daro called back. He dropped his schoolbag on the floor and was headed for the kitchen when his mother called him back.

“Come here for a second will you? I need your help.”

Daro strolled into the backroom of his parents’ shop and looked at his mother questioningly. “What is it mom?”

“Please take that crate of decanters into the shop for me. And watch the counter for a minute.”

“But I’m meeting up with Hiro, we’re gonna practice with shuriken and kunai with his dad.”

Kanna sighed. “I know we allowed you to go to the Ninja Academy, but that does not mean you don’t have to do your chores. We agreed on that.”

“But mom! We’re close to the graduation exam. We need all the practice we can get.”

“I’m sure it can wait an hour. Your father is out making deliveries and I have to keep an eye on the oven. I can’t do both at the same time. As soon as your father is back, you can go over to Hiro.”

Daro sighed and hung his head as he walked to the front of the store. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to help his parents, on a normal day he wouldn’t mind watching the shop, it was just that he really wanted to become a shinobi and in order to achieve that, he needed to train.

Unlike the other kids in his class, his parents weren’t ninja. They were regular citizens. He felt like he had to work twice as hard as the rest to reach his goal.

“Don’t look so sour, Daro,” his mother scolded, “you’ll chase away the customers.”

Daro sighed and replaced his mother behind the counter.

There were only two customers at the moment, admiring the plates and cups on the shelves. If only they would hurry up.

He glanced at the clock. An hour from now would leave only thirty minutes before dinner time. And afterwards it would be dark. There was no use in practicing in the dark.

“He, what’s taking you so long?” Hiro’s voice sounded from behind him.

“I’m in the shop!” Daro called over his shoulder. He watched as his best friend appeared. Hiro always used the backdoor.

“What are you standing here for? Shuriken practice, remember?”

Daro sighed. “My mom has me watching the shop. Dad’s out on deliveries and she needs to watch the oven. I can’t come.”

“Bummer,” Hiro said.

“Yeah,” Daro hung his head, “and the exam is up in less than two weeks.”

“Come on,” Hiro tried to cheer up his friend, “you’re already really good. One of the best in class. Of course you’re gonna pass.”

Daro didn’t look too sure. “I really want to. It would be so cool if we were on a team together.”

“Yeah, I know,” Hiro smirked. Then he sighed. “I gotta go.” He had a guilty look on his face. “Come over as soon as you can. Okay?”

“Kay,” Daro muttered as he watched his friend head out the door, almost bumping into someone.

“Sorry Casey!” Hiro shouted while hurrying off.

Daro looked up at hearing the name and stared sat the girl that was now in the doorway, hiding a smile. She stepped into the shop and walked over to the counter. “Hi Daro-kun. Are you managing the shop today?”