Chapter 14 Promises

“Here’s a cave. We can take shelter here,” Aiden said. He waved the rest of his team over and entered the cave. Hayate and Taryn followed while supporting an injured Kakashi. They carefully lowered him to the floor and Taryn kneeled in front of him.
“Let me look at your wound,” she said.
K
akashi shook his head. “It’s nothing. I’ll hold on until we’re back in Konoha.” “
Don’t be stupid Kakashi. We’re still several days away from the village. Who knows what we might encounter in the meantime.” She lifted her hands towards his mask. It was half ripped anyway.

He grabbed her hands. “Leave it Taryn.”
“Don’t be such a baby,” she growled, “I know what I’m doing. Just take off that mask and let me look at your injury.” “
One of the guys can do it,” he said.”
Taryn rolled her eyes. “Come on. You can’t be that ugly.” B
ehind her Hayate chuckled softly. Aiden who had been standing in the cave’s entrance, looked over his shoulder. “Just get it over with, Kakashi. We don’t have time for this.”
Kakashi and Taryn glared at eachother until he gave in. All three men waited for the sigh of admiration that usually followed on anyone seeing Kakashi’s face, but it didn’t come. Instead, Taryn carefully examined the cut and cleaned it with a cloth and some water. “
It’s a nasty cut,” she commented, “but it won’t leave a scar I think.”
“Well that’s a first,” Hayate smirked.
Taryn looked at him. “A first for what?”
“That I don’t hear any screaming over his features.”
Taryn scoffed. “You think one pretty face makes me forge myself? I’m not that shallow.” She looked at Kakashi. “That’s why you hide our face?”
He shrugged. “I can hardly do my job when everyone is staring at me.”
“You could have just told me that,” Taryn snorted.
“Are you two done bickering?” Aiden asked annoyed, “then we can discuss strategies.”
“Why are you always so cranky Aiden?” Hayate asked still laughing. He ended in a coughing fit. Aiden glared at him. “Will you quit that already? You’ll alert every enemy in the area with your coughing. Why they send you on these missions is beyond me. Someone who’s always sick shouldn’t be a shinobi. You’ll only attract opponents.”
Taryn narrowed her eyes at Aiden. “Why don’t you go take first watch then?” she growled.
“Who died and made you team captain?” he bit at her.
“Just saying that if you’re going to comment on everything, you might as well make yourself useful.” “Don’t argue guys,” Kakashi said.
Aiden crossed is arms. “Fix up that cut,” he told Taryn, “and then take watch.” Taryn scoffed and strode out of the cave with her head high.
“Was that really necessary?” Kakashi asked when she was out of sight.
“She needs to learn her place,” Aiden said, “she’s just a kid. She needs to show some respect.” “She’s a Jounin,” Kakashi said, “just like the rest of us.”
“She’s a know-it-all. And she’s arrogant. You may like her, that doesn’t mean I have to.”
“No that’s right,” Kakashi said, “you don’t have to like her, but she’s a member of this team and we need to work together. She’s young, but she’s a good fighter.”
“She would be better if she learned to listen. Now get some rest. You’ll need it.”

“Have you been sitting here all night?” Hayate sat down beside her.
Taryn kept her eyes on the rocks when she answered him. “Aiden told me to take on watch duty, so I did.”
“Only first watch Taryn.”
“I didn’t hear him make that distinction.”
“You know what he meant,” Hayate told her. Taryn shrugged. Hayate sighed. “Why don’t you go get some sleep before we go? I’ll take over.”
“I’m not tired,” Taryn said, “I can go days without sleep.”
“I know,” Hayate said, “but that doesn’t mean you have to.” He looked at her. “We’re a team you know.”
“I know,” Taryn said. She sighed. “Will you be alright?”
He gave her a cocky smile. “I’m a Jounin too. And you’re not the only one to gain that position on an early age.”
“Heh,” Taryn scoffed, “maybe you should tell Aiden that next time he’s being a jerk.”
“Maybe I will,” Hayate said, “now get out of here and let me do my job.”