Chapter 52 War council

• Dedicated to three incredible Genin: Kuro Shiraki, Daro Kamori and Hiroshi Tomoda ^-^

“I still can’t believe the did this to us,” Kanna Kamori said with a trembling voice, “how could they just leave without telling us anything?”

“They are smart kids,” Akina Kamori tried to comfort his wife, “and excellent shinobi. As long as they stay together, I’m sure they’ll be fine.”

As it was, he wasn’t that sure at all. They were only children after all. And what did he really know? His brother was the shinobi in the family.

It was almost two weeks ago that they had found their son’s bed empty. At first they hadn’t been concerned. It wasn’t uncommon for Daro to get up early to go train. But by evening it became clear that he wasn’t coming back any time soon. And then they had heard his teammates had disappeared with him, along with a recently arrived message, that was addressed to the Kazekage, and a map of the countries around Suna. It was obvious where they were going. Still, no search party had been sent out. The council had forbidden it. And in the absence of the Kazekage, they were the ruling force in Suna.

Akina stood up when there was a knock on the door and he went to answer it. “Hello,” Yuna greeted, “I was just wondering if you had heard anything yet.”

Akina shook his head and looked at Hiro’s sister sadly. “No. Nothing. So no messages?”

“No,” Yuna sighed, “my parents are heartbroken. Mom’s been at home ever since they disappeared. She hardly gets out of bed. I was at Kuro’s house just now. It’s not much better there. They already lost a son a few years back. They don’t want to lose another. Kimi, his sister, is especially upset.”

“Why did they go after their sensei?” Akina asked, “why couldn’t they just wait for her return? What business is it to them what she’s about? I know me and my wife aren’t shinobi, but we have heard the rumors about that woman. Tell me Yuna, are they true?”

“I know for a  fact that your son thinks very highly of her,” Yuna answered, “so does my brother. And Kuro… he seems to trust her unconditionally. And I understand that his parents do as well.”

Akina nodded.

“She has always brought them back safely,” Yuna continued, “she has trained them well. They are good fighters. I need to believe they’ll come back safe this time too.”

“But they are not with their sensei now,” Akina said, “and they’re in a strange country. Anything could happen to them.”

“They are headed for Iron,” Yuna said, “they’ve been there before and Hiro will have Kera with him. She’s a trained ninja hawk. She’ll protect them.”

“Daro is our only son. If he doesn’t come home…”

“He will. They all will. You’ll see.”

“Tomoda!” a voice called behind her.

Yuna tuned and saw one of her fellow Jounin standing there. “Tsuyoshi,” Yuna said, “what is it?”

“We need you in the council room. There’s been a message.”

“Is there news on my brother?” Yuna asked breathlessly.

Tsuyoshi shook his head. He glanced at Daro’s father. “No, but your presence is required. You need to come with me.”

“Go on Yuna,” Akina said, “duty calls. If there’s any news, we’ll send word.”

Yuna nodded and followed Tsuyoshi. “What’s going on?” she asked as soon as they were out of hearing.

Tsuyoshi looked at her seriously. “War. We’re being called to Iron. I didn’t want to alert the villagers. Keep it silent will you? We will receive instructions as soon as we reach the campment.”