Chapter 77 Those left behind

Sasuke sighed as he stared out over the village. Even though he was allowed free passage through Suna, he was never really alone. Someone always seemed to be in the vicinity wherever he went, keeping an eye on him.
The Chuunin Exams were long over. Two months had passed since then and he had a lot of things plaguing his mind.
His thoughts returned to what he had overheard when he had taken Ichiru for shuriken practice, that day when Kakashi had visited.

“… giving up on the things she wants. And he’s not even remotely grateful…”

Sasuke sighed again. His entire life he had been pushing people away, cutting bonds with everyone, thinking he’d be better off alone, only to find out his entire life had been based on lies.
And now he no longer knew how to interact with people.
How sad was it that the only person that wanted him around was a four year old?

And Naruto, but he acted like a four year old half the time.

It was strange, but now that he’d seen the Uzumaki again, he wanted those bonds back.
Even though things with Taryn were better now, it was still awkward at times and their only conversations seemed to consist of childish bickering and careful contemplations. Thought he had to admit that it was mostly his fault.
They had been able to cooperate on Taryn’s mission though. He had to admit she made a good fighting partner. He could see now why Itachi had valued her.

She had risked a lot, protecting him. The respect of her friends and family, retaliations of other nations. And how had he repaid her? Indifference and spite.

“Things she wants? What do you mean?”
“You don’t know about her and Kakashi-sama?”

Sasuke’s eyes narrowed in thought. Even back then, when he was still a Genin of team seven, it had been evident that the masked man liked her.

Sasuke glanced to the side where a hawk had settled itself on the rocks not far away.
So it was Hiro this time who was keeping an eye on him.
At least Taryn’s students never bothered him. They usually minded their own business, letting him know they were there, but leaving him to himself.
They weren’t so bad he supposed.
At least with them around he could get some training done. He would never regain his full strength ever again, but at least he could mold some chakra.

He got to his feet and stretched his limbs. The chakra flow through his body was slow but steady. Not enough to activate his Sharingan. Maybe he’d never be able to use it again. The seal on his eyes was the strongest.

Sasuke rolled his shoulders and focused his chakra to his mouth to perform the fireball jutsu. He growled frustrated when only a small flame came out.
It was only a small progress since last time.

Footsteps behind him made him look up. Hiro was strolling towards him, his hands in his pockets. The boy leaned against one of the rocks and eyed Sasuke’s progress solemnly. “Do you want to spar?” he offered.
Sasuke stared at him. “With you?”
“You see anyone else around here?” Hiro asked.
Sasuke scoffed. “Aren’t you worried I’ll kill you? I am a criminal after all.”
Hiro shrugged. “You won’t do that to sensei.”
“What makes you so sure?” He stared at Hiro annoyed.
The boy had a knowing smile. “What do you say? I have a new technique I want to try out.”
“Whatever,” Sasuke snorted, “just don’t whine afterwards when you’re all bruised and battered.”
Hiro snorted and held out his arm so his hawk could fly up. “Let´s see who’ll do the whining here.”

***

“I´m just nervous,” Daro admitted, “it´s their first mission across the border.” He sat at Taryn’s kitchen island, staring at his tea. “They’re all eager, but they’ve never been outside of Wind Country before.”
Taryn smiled at him. She had seen his students. They would manage just fine. Tenshin was a slender boy. He was fast on his feet and stealthy. He’d make a great spy someday.
Miroku was buff and a bit insecure. His clan had a special ability. He could sense chakra through vibrations in the ground. He wasn’t very skilled at it yet, but he would be with some training.
Then there was Habiri, the only girl in the team. She was a water user.
All three came from shinobi families. Daro had confessed to her that it made him uncertain if he was up to the task of sensei, since his parents were regular citizens. She had told him it didn’t matter where you came from. All that mattered was teamwork and trust.
“They’ll be fine,” Taryn assured him. She smiled and sipped her tea. Ever since being appointed his team, Daro had come to her for advice. He was doing a great job. She was proud of him. “The land of Rivers is our ally now. Besides, they know how to fight.”
“I know,” Daro sighed, “but they can get reckless.”
“Hmm,” Taryn mused, “that sounds familiar.”
Daro’s lip turned upwards and he hid a smirk. “Were we really that bad?” he asked.
“Worse,” Taryn sighed.
They both laughed.
“You’re doing a great job, Daro,” Taryn said softly.
Daro looked at the table shyly. Even after all these years, being praised by her made his face heat up.
She was someone he admired. “I just hope I can teach them something useful,” he said, “like you.”
Taryn shook her head. “I didn’t even know what I was doing half the time. Just keep working on their weak points. Find a way for them to use it to their advantage.”
Daro nodded seriously. “I will.”