Chapter 4 Regret

Kankuro leaned over the balcony next to his sister. "You're bleeding," he softly said.
    "It's nothing, " she answered without looking at him. He nodded curtly and walked back to the other side again. Taryn stayed at the railing. What was wrong with her? Finally she was with her siblings again, after seven years and now she didn't know what to say. Though Kankuro's words had been kind enough, there had been no warmth in them. Temari's eyes were cold whenever they looked at her. And Gaara... He refused to look at her at all. Cold anger in his eyes the entire time. Hate for the entire world. It was her fault... 

She couldn't concentrate on the final match. She wasn't really interested either. What did she care for Orochimaru's pawns? They meant nothing. Her eyes rested on Kakashi, who stood at the far end of the balcony. His two remaining students were cheering for their friend downstairs. It would be nice to be part of something again. She sighed. What was she going to do anyway? Orochimaru had already sunk his teeth in Sasuke. What was left for her here? 

"This concludes the preliminary rounds," Hayate said, "will the winners please come forward, so we can decide the order of fighting in the final round."
Every contestant was handed a piece of paper with a number on it, thus deciding who would fight who.
"We should tell you that the final round will be held one month from now. During this time you will have a chance to recover from your injuries and to train. Also, it would be wise to use this time to learn about your opponent fighting skills. You have seen everyone's specialties during the prelims. Use that to your advantage. For now, the exam is over. We will see you in one month in the coliseum. Remember that you will be fighting for a larger audience. It will contain not only the lords and ladies from other nations, but also possible future contractors. Do not shame your country. Dismiss!" 

Taryn stayed behind as everyone else left the grounds. She dreaded this moment, even though this was why she had come here in the first place. Hayate looked at her for a moment before leaving the room. She didn't search for Kakashi. The hokage slowly rose and motioned for her to follow him. 

The office was still as she remembered it, the window giving view over the village. Taryn looked outside, not sure what to say. What was the point now that she was already too late.      
"Back again, Taryn?" the hokage said from behind his desk. No one else was in the room, "Sasuke this time?"
It took a while before she answered. "I was chasing Orochimaru," she said, "he wants Sharingan... he has always wanted that, just as he has always wanted Byakugan."
"Yet he never got either one," Sarutobi, the hokage, mused, "what is your purpose with Sasuke?" Taryn shook her head. "I see," Sarutobi nodded.
"I'm not after his life if that's what you think," Taryn said through her teeth.
"I didn't say that." "But you were thinking it."
"I considered it a possibility," Sarutobi admitted, "so now what? What are your intentions?"
"I don't know," Taryn said softly, "I'd like to stay in Konoha for the duration of the Chuunin Exams."
"Of course." He looked at her sadly. Taryn's life had not been easy. Being born from two nations had put her at conflict numerous times. Her mother's family was not too warmly towards her, but accepted her because of Byakugan, which was too precious to let go to waste. Her father was a cruel man that had trained her to exhaustion, trying to turn her into a formidable weapon. He had succeeded at that. She was strong, fast and skilled. She had served the assassination squad and could endure a lot more than most people. Above all that, there was no better spy than Taryn Desertstorm.  
"I know you," Sarutobi said after a long silence, "I have offered you refugee in Konoha after your father cast you out. You have never given me reason to regret that decision. I advise you to keep it that way."
"Did Orochimaru threaten to kill Sasuke?" Taryn asked.
"He warned Anko not to withdraw him form the Exams."
"He won't kill him," Taryn said, "he's too valuable."
Sarutobi eyed her carefully. "You know what he wants?"
"Yes."
The hokage stood up and went to stand next to her at the window. He followed her gaze which rested on the hospital. He sighed. "Go to Kakashi. Have him look after your seal... Taryn... have a care with Orochimaru. Don't do anything reckless."
Taryn snorted and turned to leave. Without a word she walked out of the office and closed the door behind her.