Chapter 76 Students and teachers

“Go on Ichiru,” it’s time for bed,” Taryn kissed her son on his forehead. “I’ll be right there.”
Ichiru looked at her sleepily. “Can uncle Kakashi tug me in?”
“If he wants to,” Taryn said surprised. She looked at Kakashi who nodded confused. “Down the hall on the left,” Taryn pointed across the living room.
Ichiru grinned and took Kakashi’s hand. “Come on. “ 
Kakashi let the boy drag him through the house and watched him get ready for bed. He looked at the shirt that hug over the back of a chair. It was the embroided symbol that caught his eye and he picked it up to get a better look.
On the back of the white shirt was the logo of the Uchiha clan, but someone had sewn a black bird over it, in flight, shedding a few feathers.
‘Itachi’s crows,’ Kakashi thought. It was cleverly done and he wondered who had come up with it.
“Uncle Kakashi?” came Ichiru’s sleepy voice. 
He looked up at the boy. Ichiru was looking at him drowsily, his head on the pillow.
“Yes?” he asked the boy.
“Will you come visit again?”
“Would you like that?” Kakashi asked.
“Uh-huh,” Ichiru muttered, “I think my mom likes you. You like my mom too, right? Uncle Kakashi?” 
Kakashi sighed. “You should probably go to sleep now,” he said, avoiding the question.
“Hmmm okay,” came the soft reply.
Kakashi patted the boy’s hair and silently left the room, closing the door behind him.

“Is he asleep?” Taryn asked when Kakashi returned to the living room.
Kakashi smiled and nodded. “He is a good kid.” 
“Yeah,” Taryn smiled. She took a deep breath. “Are you staying for a drink?” 
He eyed her carefully. “Do you want me to?” 
“Of course,” Taryn said softly.
“Then I’ll stay,” Kakashi said and he sat down on the couch.
Taryn poured the both of them a glass of wine.
“Neji said to ask when you’ll come visit. There’s quite a few people in Konoha that miss you.”
"It would be nice to see them again,” Taryn said softly, “but I’m not sure about going to Konoha.” 
“You’d hardly recognize it,” Kakashi told her.
“Maybe some day,” Taryn said apologetic.
Kakashi nodded in understanding. “I won’t pressure you. I know it’s hard for you to be there, after everything that’s happened.” 
“It’s not your fault,” Taryn answered, “there’s just so much going on and I have Ichiru to think about now.” 
Kakashi looked at her hesitantly. “Does he know? About Itachi…” 
Taryn sighed and studied her hands. “He knows his father died before he was born and that Sasuke was Itachi’s brother.” She ran a hand through her hair. “It won’t be long before he starts asking questions.” 
“What will you tell him?”
“I don’t know,” Taryn admitted, “I don’t want to lie to him, but he is still so young.“
Kakashi gave her a sad smile. It wouldn’t be an easy decision. And many people would judge the boy for being Itachi’s offspring. “I saw your students yesterday,” Kakashi said, “they’ve really grown."
Taryn nodded. “Yes, they have. Daro is about to be assigned his first students.” 
“He’ll do a great job. He’s very responsible. And he’s had a good role model.” 
“I don’t know about that last part,” Taryn said, “but I know he’s ready.” 
Kakashi nodded and put his glass down. “I should go,” he said, “the Finals start tomorrow and I need to be there.“
Taryn nodded. “Yes. Of course. It will be a long day. You need your sleep.“ She stood up to walk Kakashi to the door.
“It was good to see you,” Kakashi said while he stepped onto the porch, “Thank you for dinner.“
“You’re welcome.“
Kakashi sighed. “Will you come see me before we depart?” 
Taryn nodded. “Yes, I will.” 
Kakashi lifted his hand and caressed her cheek. “Promise?” 
“I promise,” Taryn whispered and placed her hand over his.
He took a step closer and hesitated for a moment before leaning in. Softly he pressed his lips against hers. “Good night.” 
“Good night,” Taryn muttered as he walked away. She sighed and walked back inside to clean up.

After placing everything on the counter, she sighed and went to check on Ichiru.
The boy was fast asleep.
Taryn smiled and planted a kiss in his hair. Silently she returned to the living room
She froze when she noticed Sasuke in the kitchen. His back was towards her and he was doing the dishes.
Taryn blinked confused and walked up to him. “You don’t have to do that. “
Sasuke didn’t look up, but continued his work. “I don’t mind,” he said stiffly.
Taryn eyed him for a moment and nodded. “Have you eaten? “she asked, “I saved you some.“
Sasuke gave a curt nod. He kept his eyes on the dirty plates. “I fixed your fan,” he said.
Taryn’s eyes went wide and she moved over to the door to inspect her treasured possession. 
Not only had he repaired the tear, but he had also polished the weapon. 
She let out a sigh. It looked as good as new. She bit her lip. “The Chuunin Finals are tomorrow,” she said, “are you going to watch?“
“Why would I do that?“ Sasuke asked emotionless. 
Taryn sighed. “Gaara asked me to take up guard duty. I thought you could take Ichiru. He’s been wanting to watch the matches.”
“I’m not going,” Sasuke said firmly.
Taryn nodded. She hadn’t really expected him to. She placed her fan against the wall and walked across the room towards her bedroom. “I’ll ask Kuro to take him then,” she said, “turn off the lights when you’re finished, oaky?” She turned away from him and closed the door.