Chapter 16 Siblings

Taryn didn’t look up when she heard footsteps behind her. She was staring at the gravestone in front of her.
Her father was buried next to his first and second wife. She suddenly realized that she didn’t really know either one of them.
She wasn’t even sure why she was here.
To see with her own eyes that it was true perhaps.
Gaara came to stand next to her, staring at the gravestone too. For a long time they didn’t speak.
“Kankuro told you,” Taryn stated after a while.
It took a moment longer before he answered. “I have always known that father feared me. Just as I knew he was after every assault. You weren’t the first he asked and you certainly weren’t the last.”
“I know,” Taryn said softly, “I’m sorry.”
“Why should you be sorry?” Gaara asked, “what would you have done?”
Taryn sighed. “I don’t know… something.”
“Why would you even do that?”
Taryn stared at him as if it were obvious. “Because you’re my brother. I love you. I would never hurt you.”
Gaara looked at her stunned. She really meant it.

“You were never loved. No one loves you… even your own sister…”

Lies.
All lies.
And he had believed them.
How could he not?
“Were you ever going to tell me?” he asked. But he knew the answer already. Of course not. “Next time…” he said.
“Next time I’ll do the exact same thing,” Taryn said.
“Why?” Gaara asked.
“To keep you safe,” Taryn said.
“I don’t need protection,” her brother said.
“I don’t care,” she answered him, “I’d protect you. Even if you don’t want me to.”
"To protect someone precious to you,” Gaara muttered, “I see. Is it that simple?”
Taryn stared at him confused. “What do you mean?”
But he didn’t answer. “That man,” he said instead, “what is he to you? This… Kakashi?”
Taryn blinked. “What?”
“I saw you with him in town. He is… someone important to you?”
For a moment she didn’t know how to answer. Was he? Yes… but… “We’re… friends,” she said softly.
“Friends?” Gaara questioned. He sighed. “It must be nice to have friends.”
Taryn swallowed and for a moment thought of Hayate. “Yeah,” she said, “it is.” 

*** 

“You are not serious,” Taryn said. She stared at her brother in disbelieve.
“Of course I am,” Kankuro said, “you are the oldest child and the strongest shinobi. You should take the position.”
"That is exactly why I shouldn’t be stuck in an office,” Taryn said, “I am of more use when I’m being just that, A shinobi. Besides, I’m a half-blood and I was banished once.”
“That was because of father,” Kankuro cast at her.
“Yes, but that can never be publicly announced now, can it. And either way, my criminal record won’t exactly make people trust me. I’m not fit to be the next Kazekage.”
“You’re kidding, right.” Kankuro said, “you were back for five minutes and you already acted like you owned the place. Ordering everyone around. And people listen to you.”
“I’m not doing it Kankuro. You do it.”
“I’m only a Genin.” He sighed. “There’s none else suitable for the position.”
Taryn rubbed a hand across her face. “I… I can’t do it.”
“Taryn,” Kankuro said in a reasoning tone, “we need a new Kazekage. As long as the village is leaderless we are a target for other villages.”
“We are currently at peace,” Taryn said, “an attack won’t come that easily.”
“We have a quarrel with Sound thanks to Orochimaru,” Kankuro said, “have you forgotten?” Taryn narrowed her eyes. “Orochimaru,” she growled..  
“So will you do it?”
“The council will never allow it,” Taryn said.
“They will have no choice,” her  brother pointed out.
Taryn shook her head. ”No… I’ll tell you how it’s going to be. I’ll accept the position, but I have two conditions.” She looked at him seriously. “One. It will be a position only in name. The council can deal with the desk duties and I’ll have the final word. That way I can still go on missions.”
Kankuro nodded slowly. “That shouldn’t be a problem. At least I don’t think so.”
“Two,” Taryn said, “it’s only temporarily. I’ll quit as soon as someone else is found.” She held her brother’s gaze for a long time. “It’s this way or not at all.”
Kankuro shook his head. “Are you always this difficult?”
Taryn smiled. “You better get used to it.”
“We can always banish you again,” Kankuro said deviously.
“Not if I’m Kazekage,” Taryn said content. She stuck her nose up and smirked at him.
“You’re evil,” he glared.
“Yeah. I know.”
Kankuro shook his head. It was good to have her home.