Extra: Letters to home

This little extra is the letter Taryn's mother wrote to her brother Hiashi. It's the letter Hinata sent to Taryn at the end of Crow's Feathers. Enjoy.

Dearest brother,

Time passes so quickly. It has already been a year since I came to live in Sunagakure and I still can't get used to the heat of the desert. I miss the trees and fields of Konoha, the first spring rain. But most of all, I miss you and Hizashi. I hope you two have learned to get along better.

Life here is so different from life at home. The environment is much harder. So are the people. I understand why father and the Hokage arranged this marriage. I'm not bearing any grudges. Still, I wish I could be happier here. Rasa is a good man, though it is buried under a hard exterior. He loves Suna dearly and that is what I admire in him. Even if he never grows to love me, I know he will treat me right. You don't have to worry about me. I am of the Hyuuga clan after all. I am strong.

The desert does have its own charms. The sunsets are beautiful here and so are the nights. The stars are much brighter than at home. You should see it. Perhaps you can come visit me if your duties allow it. I heard father officially passed on the title of head of house to you. I do hope you can spare some time to come over. Please bring Hizashi. Rumor has it he has started seeing someone. Is it true? What is her name?

Hiashi, have you found yourself a girlfriend yet? What about Hikari? Weren't you in the same year in school? She liked you, didn't she? I think she would be perfect for you. It will be nice to have some nieces and nephews, even if I won't see them that often.

There is one other thing I want to share with you and Hizashi. I'm sure you will find out soon enough. Rasa will probably send a messenger bird to father in the next few days, though I hope my letter will reach you first.

I am with child.

Even now, writing these words down, I can feel a smile spread across my face.

I am with child. I will be a mother.

I have only just found out, but I couldn't be any happier. A life is growing inside of me. I try to imagine it kicking inside me, but Chiyo-sama, the old medic and council woman, says it is too soon.

Rasa is hoping for a son, but to me it does not matter. Perhaps once this child is born, I will start to feel at home here. And once the child grows older, I will send it to you in Konoha so it will know its origin. I want it to know its family, learn about Byakugan. I want this child to be strong. I want it to be kind and protective of those that are weaker. And one day, it might even inherit the title of Kazekage from Rasa.

But most of all, I want it to be loved.

I want it to know how welcome it is and how much I love it, how much I look forward to being its mother. Of course it will have siblings and it will be the best big brother or sister any sibling could wish for.

Ah, here I am, rambling away. I'm sure you don't need to hear such 'feminine talk'. But you will understand once you have found yourself a wife and she is with child. You'll be just as eager to meet it. You won't be able to stop talking about it.

I do hope you will write to me. Your letters have become less frequent, but I suppose you are busy with your duties. Tell Hizashi to write me too. I want to know all about his girlfriend.

And last of all, take care of yourself. I know Konoha is still dealing with a lot of strife between nations. It may have allied with Suna, but we are not the only two nations. There is still Stone on Suna's end and Cloud for Konoha that cause the most trouble.

Be careful. And I will do the same.

Tell father and mother I miss them.

As always, with all my love,

Ayumi.